DVD drive can't read CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Pioneer DVR-710 Internal DVD/CD Writer

The problem is whenever I put in a CD, the drive attempts to read the disc, makes strange noises for a minute, and then stops. Whenever I try to run the drive, it says it's empty. I've had the DVD drive since Christmas, and the last time a CD worked was probably a month ago, only recently I discovered this problem.

This only happens to CDs. I've tried everything - blank CD-Rs and blank CD-RWs, audio CDs, software CDs such as Nero and Photoshop, and none of them work.

However, DVDs work perfectly fine. I can play DVDs and watch movies, put in blank DVD-Rs and burn data, and it all works.

I've tried remounting the drive to make sure no screws were loose, and nothing changed.

So I'm wondering if it's a defective DVD drive or if it's some kind of virus? Anyone know?

All tips and advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Try to boot from a bootable CD. If it doesn't work your drive is toast, use it as a DVD drive only or replace it.

I would bet your drive needs replaced. I just had to replace a drive that was doing almost the same thing as your describe. It would read regular CD's but not DVD's!

Thanks for the welcome, poertner!

Yeah, I tried booting from a CD and that doesn't work. So I guess I gotta get a replacement :(

What would cause the CD laser to die like that? Any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening again?

Thanks so much for all your responses. :)

usually wear and tear, or if you don't take care of your pcs strange things will happen.. :D

but if the drive's pretty new it could be a faulty unit, maybe damaged during transit.. which should be covered by warranty conditions...

There is nothing in particular that you can do to prevent this from happening again. The good thing is that new DVD burners are very inexpensive today. Just pick one up and install it :)

The optical drive is currently the least reliable equipment in a computer.
Optical drives last about a year nowadays. Some which fail earlier have a rubber-like drive belt that slips off and can be replace by removing the plate from the bottom of the drive.
On many, the laser optics go out of alignment, and cannot be adjusted without a calibration tool.
The lasers for read and write are separate units. Those with a DVD read and write may have three or four lasers. They easily slip out of alignment or burn out.
Others just wear out. These units are made by machines. They sell to manufacturers and dealers for about $18. When you figger in shipping and profit, you have to assume they are filled with very cheap parts.
You can buy a replacement by LG or Samsung at Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Circuit City, Target and others for $29 to $49 depending on configuration. Avoid the HP, Sony, LaCie, and store brands. There are 86 brand names for optical drives, but many are made in the same plants in Korea and China. Plextor, Yamaha, and Pioneer are much more reliable, but are much more expensive.

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my Combo Drive.

It is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N ATA drive.

I can read and burn DVD's just fine, but whenever I tryo to read, write or boot from a CD, it won't work.

I've checked up on several forums and everyone seems to be giving the same answer, meaning i'm not very happy. This will be the second time within a 12 month period that I have had to replace the my burner. :(

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi by the way!! ^_^ I'm new.

HLDS optical drives are the cheapest and most failure prone known...

Buy a decent burner for $39 to $59 and you will likely have better success.

Lol, you've got to be kidding me.

I was going to try and get a different drive, but the thing is these model drives are the only type that will fit into my laptop, as it's a slimline laptop.

Are there any other slim DVD/Combo drives out there for around the same price?

If so, what brands would good to look out for?

I'll get it replaced while it's still under warranty, but it wouldn't hurt to have a look around as I think i'll end up having alot of issue with this blasted contraption.

THanks

There is quite a market in laptop optical drives with Teac, Toshiba, LG, and Sony making good ones in a number of configurations.
You haven't told us your computer brand and model, so it is difficult to comment.

Wellcome to techspot...

Sorry i cought up with your thread so late.

Have you tryed runnig a optical cleaner CD...
The optical reader might be also obstruccted by dust...
you never know...

Thanks, I might just give that a try...

My Computer is a Compaq Presario V3230AU laptop.

That's pretty much all I can tell you at this stage apart from the DVD/CD drive that specified earlier.

^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back