DVD-ROM very noisy when reading disc

Hello,

I went out to purchase an ACER Aspire 5551G laptop today (it was just so damned cheap), and all was going well, until I tried to install some programs.

The Rom was insanely loud, it was literally vibrating my whole desk. At first I thought it was the CD Tray being loose but it does not look like that is the case.

I am assuming the alternate possibility that it is just running too fast, so I would like to ask for solutions to this problem.

The optical drive I have currently is, Matshita DVD-ROM UK890AS.

Thank you in advance.

powerapple

Does it do the same thing with any CD or DVD? The laptop is under warranty so if you believe the DVD drive to be the problem, take it back for repair or replacement (whatever their policy is).

if you have this problem with more than one cd/dvd, get it fixed fast.

Don't want an explosion.

okay, so I was trying out various DVDs CDs to make sure its the tray problem.

onli Starcraft 2 creates the massive droning sound. everyother disc is relatively quiet.

That sounds to me like its struggling to read the disc, especially if others are fine. I'm saying that is your problem, but it would seem a likely thought given your comments directly above.

okay, so I was trying out various DVDs CDs to make sure its the tray problem.

onli Starcraft 2 creates the massive droning sound. everyother disc is relatively quiet.

I get that once in a while with some of the disks that come with hardware. Cheap disks?

Back