DVD+RW no longer burns

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DVD rewriter (NEC DVD+RW ND3530A) in a Dell desktop Windows Home XP , has worked for years but suddenly has stopped recording(burning). It reads files already on the disc(s) okay. I get the message that the drive is inaccessible and "incorrect function." If I look at the properties of the drive there is no tag for recording.

I really need this to transfer all my documents to a laptop so any help will be really great. Thanks.

Optical drives are all subject to failure after a few years of operation. Some sooner, some later. If it suddenly stopped working after being fine all this time, it is likely the drive has failed, even though it retains part of its function. Just the same I would double check the tightness of the connections of the data and power cables at the back of the drive and the data cable at the motherboard end. If that doesn't help, then you probably have to buy a new one. A new one is not that expensive nor is it usually very difficult to replace.

I really need this to transfer all my documents to a laptop so any help will be really great. Thanks.
For this particular purpose, a simple 2GB USB "flash drive" is far, far superior and also a far faster method than an optical drive.

These are (obviously) available in larger capacities also, which would add some additional "far(s)"type superlatives to my statement above.

The only reason (quite legitimate) to keep a burning drive would be for backup hard copy, and entertainment discs.

Here is an "OEM" IDE DVD burner by Pioneer; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129043 (I'm about 99% certain that your old Dell would be IDE interface rather than the newer "SATA").

This brand is a personal favorite, there are many others available at similar prices.

Newegg.com is considered the best and most reliable source of computer parts in the industry. Home page here; http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx?name=Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back