DVD Tray won't stay closed, keeps opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased an AOpen DVD burner and am having some issues. I've installed it multiple ways with the jumpers (tried it as Primary, Secondary, etc) so I don't think that is the problem. Also, when I go to "My Computer" I can see it's reading the drive as the "F:" drive. Also, I tried installing drivers from the Nero program that came with it. I updated the Firewire drivers from the AOpen website.

The problem with the drive is that it keeps opening after a few seconds. Its a brand new drive so I'm thinking that maybe its faulty. Anyone ever have this problem or know anything about it? Suggestions?

After it opens, it will close only if I press the close button. It seems to do some thinking for about 1-2 seconds and then it pops open again. It also doesn't matter if I have a disc in it. Its perplexing because my CD drive works fine. One thing that is different than my CD drive is that when I press the DVD drive to close it (i.e. don't use the button to close it), the motor doesn't kick in like my CD drive does. I don't know if it because the DVD doesn't have a motor to do that or not. Also, I've tried manually closing it and holding it closed after, during a reboot.

I'm beginning to think AOpen stands for "Always Open"

I highly doubt that removing the "open" button off will work because it does seem to be functioning properly. When its open and I press it to close the tray (and then it pops open again).

My problem is essentially the same as the guy in the link you pasted. Luckily I bought it at Costco so I should be able to return it without too many hassles. I just want to try and resolve it so I could avoid that hassle anyhow.

Sounds like a defective drive. Try to return it for another one or a different brand.

You sure someone is not messing with you? ive screwed around with a mate once when I remote accessed his pc and started opening his cd drives and changing his resultion settings etc:p

Regards,

Korrupt

I had this happen with a cd burner on my computer at work. It did it all on its own, not windows related, I know because it would do this before loading into windows. Eventually it healed up.

wat a coincidence two cdrs doing the same thing ++RETURN THOSE NASTY ROMS++ the only hassle is when youre warranty runs out.for future reference dont buy those aopen cdroms again.

Hello, I am jimd253 with first post. I have the same problem with an aopen win98. an old cpu that worked fine for 4 years. Really need to know what the problem is with the CD. I have even installed a new CD and the tray still goes in and out. Tks.

1 .disable autoplay
2 .download latest aspi drivers
3 .disable IMAPI burning com service
4 on boot hold the drive button in see if drive led starts flashing the reboot remount

5 .RMA return to manu

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back