DVDRW Don't Work Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtra

My friend has a sony vaio desktop pc which he bought like 2 years ago. The problem is the DVDRW.

It reads original Audio/Video CDs, ORIGINAL DVDs, CD-Rs. But it won't read DVD-Rs. I thought the problem could be the laser beam. Since its 2 years old and used really efficiently, laser beam might be losing its strength?

What other problems could it be? We've formatted hdd and installed windows xp again but it didn't help.

Since its under warranty, should he take it to sony? will they change dvdrw just because its not reading DVD-Rs? Should he try to break it down completely somehow before he takes it to sony?

Any suggestions, ideas, opinions are welcome!

Thanx,

Did it read DVD-r's before? what DVD-R's have your tried? ( brand) also what DVD burning software is installed on the machine?

taking the burner apart will void the warranty.

Yeah it was reading DVD-Rs before. I've tried memorex, FUJI, couple noname DVD-Rs and TDK. Nero is installed on the computer. There is no problem with detection of hardware. But its not working properly. We haven't taken any part apart yet.

Just send it in if it's under warranty. I can't see it being a laser problem if it will read other dvds.

Thank you very much people,

GOOD NEWS: Computer has been sent to Sony, they are going to replace it with a brand new one!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back