DWA-110 and Windows 7

Recently i installed windows 7 (64bit version). It went good and the thing running fine. Except one, my usb wifi dongle. No matter how i install this thing, it cannot find any network at all. I've downloaded driver from the d-link website (http://www.dlink.com.my/support/support_detail.asp?idproduct=195). The file is called "DWA-110_A1_v1.50.rar". Extracted it, double-clicked the setup, and installer asked me to plug in the dongle, which i later did. It also says that if the windows hardware manager pops up to install the windows own version of the driver, the installer asked me to cancel it... which is nigh impossible thing to do especially in this version of windows. SO i just let it go. After the progress bar near finished, it gives me one more dialog.. "wireless adapter not found. please insert the adapter now" it says. So i unplugged and inserted it back and click [OK]. Installer finished doing whatever and now the thing supposed to find network, right? but NOoO, it didn't find anything! I don't have any screenshot to show. Let me just say that im dualbooting with windows xp rite now. And im typing these words via that windows. But i really need the internet connection to be working in other windows as well. In XP, theres no problem at all, i've just upgraded the driver. But in windows 7, its different story. Is there anyone has the same problem as me and can you tell me how to fix this?

SO i just let it go.
I think that was the wrong thing to do. You need to uninstall any adapter driver that might have gotten installed and start over again. Uninstall through Programs and Features. I'm not sure why you had so much trouble stopping the Windows hardware manager. One of my PCs has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and after installing W7 I installed a USB wireless adapter (dongle) temporarily and had no problem.

uhm,,, pardon my stupidity, do you know how to disable the plug n play feature in windows 7, (temporarily of course)? when i tried to plug in the wireless dongle, the hardware manager never failed to out best me to cancel it. It happens so fast. You see, i plugged in the dongle, the next thing you know the device driver successfully installed by windows on it own. It even faster than xp's! I dont have a chance to cancel the operation at all.

Sorry.. i forgot, do you meant to uninstall the other network drivers as well. I have a 2 years old computer with a new board, ASUS Maximus* (at least that what i think the name is), it comes with 2 ethernet adapter that exist in the device manager. Is this what you meant by "You need to uninstall any adapter driver that might have gotten installed"?

By uninstalling any adapter driver I meant for the USB dongle. Sorry for the confusion. That is just to make sure there is no conflict with an improperly installed driver so the USB adapter will work properly. You can leave the two built-in ethernet ports alone.

I didn't have a clear picture of what you were saying about the hardware manager until your second post. That rapid installation of the driver is what is supposed to happen. You install the driver you downloaded from the D-Link website. After that, as soon as you plug in the dongle Windows will detect it and install the the driver to it. It's really connecting the driver you just installed to the new device.

As to finding your network it's not clear to me what the problem is exactly. If you are expecting it to automatically connect to your network, it won't. You have to manually select your network from those the device detects within its range and enter the encryption password (assuming you encrypted the signal). If I have misunderstood your situation, please clarify.

Was an icon for your wireless device placed in the notifications section of the taskbar? If so, can't you use that to access the list of detectable networks?

The icon is visible? yes. But it cannot find any network, even the modem outside is already connected to the internet. As you might see in the screenshots, windows doesnt even list my wireless adapter in ipconfig. At first i thought the device is busted. But i can surf and online in my XP boot. I just dont know what to do anymore. My lack of understanding how network functioning in general is complicating things i admit. Maybe formatting the disk and start over might solve it but that is the last resort im not willing to take right now.

Nevermind friend.... after spending 1 torturous week trying to solve this problem, the solution is simply uninstalling ZoneAlarm and my connection back on. Im an ***** for not seeing this.. ha! Thx anyway for replies.

help

i have absolutely the same problem as dxoakley an the same system too W7 64bit. I dont use any antiviruses! anyway problem still exist. what could be wrong?

Back