Dynamic HD recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuchyanutzof

Hey ya'll,

I did something very stupid. I am using windows xp pro and I changed my C: drive from basic to dynamic. The drive only had one partition, which had the MBR on it. I was clicking too fast and didn't read that message that I would not be able to use the boot partition on the disk. I tried to reboot, but now the HD is inaccessible. BIOS can see that the HD is there, but when I try to boot from it, I get a quickly flashing BSOD, which I have no time to read.

I tried to do a repair on the drive using "fixboot", but that didn't work. When I used the "map" command to view the drive information, there is a ? next to the name and size of the drive. I also tried to install a new HD and on the blue setup screen, it still showed the ? next to the dynamic HD, it shows as a dynamic disk, and it said that the drive was non-XP compatible. If I wanted to install xp on the new HD, I had to delete the partition on the dynamic disk. I don't want to do this because I want to keep the info on the disk.

I disconnected the dynamic HD and installed xp on a new HD. I then reconnected the dynamic HD and wen t to computer management. It shows as dynamic, but it is unreadable. When I go to properties, it shows:

Disk: Disk 2
Type: Dynamic
Partition style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
Capacity: 0mb
Unallocated space: 0mb
Reserved space: 0mb

Is there any way that I can get this disk to work without changing it back to a basic disk and losing all of my info?

Help!:confused:

Unfortunately, no. I realize that I can no longer use the boot partition on the dynamic HD. Now, I just want to use it as another volume drive on my pc, but I don't want to have to convert it back to basic because if I do, I will lose all of the information on the disk.

Has anyone run into a situation like this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back