E7400 p5ld2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, newbie here.

I was hoping ya'll could help me out. I think I've found the answer but wanted to double check with some folks who know more than I do.

I have an Asus P5LD2 running a P4 3.0ghz and want to upgrade to a duo core. I was looking at the E7400 and just wanted to make sure it was compatible.

I know my mobo won't support a quad core and i have to stay with an FSB of 1066...again I just wanted to make sure this processor would work. Hoping to turn this box into a media computer.

thanks in advance

Check the specs of the board from your ASUS manual or the ASUS site, then the specs for the E7400. I think you might be in a bit of trouble making everything work together.
I wouldn't make the change if it were mine. i would prefer to upgrade the board, then decide on the best processor. Quad Core is a poor decision for most people... There was a post yesterday that Quad Core has less than 4 percent of the market... and we know a lot of those who are unhappy. The E7400 is excellent, provided you have a board and a power supply to match... then there are the memory issues.

You might want to investigate the compatibility of your board with the E4X00 series of C2Ds. True, the FSB is only 800Mhz, but it would be a huge step up from a P4. It's also more likely that a BIOS update would be available for that sequence of CPUs than the 45nm releases. The 4X00 "Allendale" cores are also going for cheap in most places, but I think supplies are drying up.

"Zip Zoom Fly" still lists a few models of these, http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005924&prodlist=celebros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back