EA could reveal a new Dead Space game next month

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Ask horror game fans about their favorite titles of all time, and many will mention Dead Space. The series has been on hiatus since the weakest and least-loved of the main trilogy, Dead Space 3, arrived in 2013, but a new entry could be announced next month.

VGC reports that GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb previously revealed how EA’s Motive studio, the devs behind Star Wars Squadrons, was working on “an established IP” revival, adding that “I think you’ll be happy.” During a stream last week, he dropped a huge hint as to what the game might be: “We’re going to see it… if we’re not dead first.”

Grubb said the next Dead Space, or whatever the secret game might be, will be unveiled at the EA Play event that takes place on July 22.

The first Dead Space scared the crap out of gamers when it arrived back in 2008 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC, winning a slew of awards and accolades. Dead Space 2, released in 2011, was also a huge hit, and introduced a multiplayer mode. Dead Space 3, however, didn’t gain as much praise and sales fell below expectations, which was blamed on the focus shifting from horror to action.

Original developer Visceral Games and EA had hoped to create a fourth entry, despite Dead Space 3 being a disappointment, but those plans were shelved when Electronic Arts shut down Visceral in 2017.

Permalink to story.

DS1 definitely is still a great game to go back to (I bought it cheap and played it through last year).

Plus I do agree; the later DS's focused too much on action (which I did like, but that's not the reason why people liked the series in the first place).

And I hope it's not just a remaster announcement (if they go that route). Wouldn't mind seeing if they can get another good horror game going that has actual scares (and not just cheap gore).

DS1 definitely is still a great game to go back to (I bought it cheap and played it through last year).

Plus I do agree; the later DS's focused too much on action (which I did like, but that's not the reason why people liked the series in the first place).

And I hope it's not just a remaster announcement (if they go that route). Wouldn't mind seeing if they can get another good horror game going that has actual scares (and not just cheap gore).

I am one of the people, and I didn't like the first one. Third one was excellent.

Everyone is not like you (or me)

I am one of the people, and I didn't like the first one. Third one was excellent.

Everyone is not like you (or me)
Great! Dead Space was meant to be a horror first (before EA took over), so don't pretend it shouldn't focus on that aspect.

Dead Space 2 was already a rather lame game, though perfectly playable from start to finish. It was still a rather disappointing sequel to such a great first game. I couldn't even bother with the third.
Dead Space is not an all out action game, you don't need to be able to move fluently and there needs to be some exploration. The mood needs be both tense and pressuring within the dark corridors.

Dead Space 1 is great, one my favorite horror video games ever.
Dead Space 2 is more action focused but still pretty good and has lots of memorable moments.
One thing I love on both of them is the level design.

Dead Space 3 is so terrible that I stopped playing it less than 3 hours in and never touched it again. It just doesn't feel like a Dead Space game at all, and not only it's a terrible Dead Space game, it's also a bad third person action game.

I really hope the new announcement turns out to be remasters of the first 2 titles. A PC port of Dead Space Extraction would be a very welcome bonus too. The PC versions of DS1 and DS2 are pretty shoddy console ports that, although they work, are full of annoyances and minor issues, and time is not being kind to them.

Back