EA data suggests the PlayStation 4 has sold more than twice as many units as the Xbox One

midian182

Staff member

While the antagonism between PC and console owners has raged on for years, the latter group consists of another long-running rivalry: Xbox vs PlayStation. According to recent statements by Electronic Arts, Sony is beating its competitor into the ground right now, but Microsoft disagrees with the figures.

As reported by Variety, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen was discussing the state of the game industry at the company’s recent earnings call and talked about expectations for PS4 and Xbox One sales.

“Turning to our expectations for fiscal 2019, we expect sales of current-generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony to continue to be strong, with the installed base growing to 130 million consoles by the end of calendar 2018 from 103 million at the end of calendar 2017,” he said.

While Jorgensen didn’t break down individual sales figures for the consoles, it’s possible to work them out using data announced by Sony in January. The Japanese firm said the PlayStation 4 had cumulatively sold more than 73.6 million units as of December 31, 2017. That leaves around 29.4 million Xbox One sales, under half the number of PS4s that have been sold.

At the start of 2017, there were an estimated 25 million Xbox One owners, which would mean there have only been 5 million Xbox One sales in 2017. Sony, meanwhile, recently announced that 19 million PlayStation 4s were sold last year.

Jorgensen added that EA expects the Nintendo Switch to reach 30 million sales by the end of this year, challenging the Xbox One for second position on the most-popular console list behind the PlayStation 4.

With the Xbox One being more popular in the US rather than markets such as Japan, where Sony’s console dominates, the company focuses on engagement rather than sales as an indicator of its performance.

Microsoft disputes the recent figures but never revealed any actual sales numbers. “The projections are inaccurate,” a spokesperson told Variety. “Regardless, we are focused on delivering amazing gaming experiences to players on all devices and engagement is our measure of progress. We just announced a record start to the year with Xbox Live monthly active users up 13% to 59 million.”

Permalink to story.

If this is truly the case, why does everyone I know seem to have an Xbone instead of a PS?

Yes, I know my individual experience doesn't override statistics.

If this is truly the case, why does everyone I know seem to have an Xbone instead of a PS?

Come visit Europe. You'll have a hard time finding someone with an Xbox here. The only reason why Xbox even has a few sales is because of brand loyalty in the US (it certainly isn't the "stellar" game library).

Normally people would want to have a PC (which also has most of Xbox's exclusives) plus a PS4 and/or a Switch as a companion system.

I take it you are in the US. The world is much bigger than that. It seems to be about an even split from the gamer's I know that use consoles. The more surprising part is that the Switch might take over second spot.

I think these sells rankings are somewhat irrelevant. The video game industry as a whole is large enough now to simultaneously support numerous systems. Back in the day, it made financial sense to focus development on the largest system.

The fact is that all three consoles are selling well. They all have user bases large enough to be very lucrative for game publishers. Also, the fact that PS4 and XBone use such similar hardware makes it easier than ever to develop cross-platform games.

For what it's worth, my systems of choice are PC and Switch.

Last edited:

I'm also in the US and I know more people with a PS4/Pro than xbones. At least 3 that have double dipped.

Come to Australia mate. Everyone I know friends, family, and people in general here all owned a PS4 with a ratio of 5:1 over Xbox.

Walk into any games store here such as EB Games, JB-Hi-Fi and you regularly see people walking out with either a PS4 or Switch while full shelves of Xbox is sitting there in stock.

For what it's worth, my systems of chose are PC and Switch.

My main platforms are PS4 Pro. Switch, & PC. That way I get the best of both worlds and not missed out on any exclusives.

I think the reason it mostly due to all the xbox players I used to know have all switched to PC some times a few of them still have a PS but that's for the specific games that are on. Lastly in regards to this unending conflict.... PC Master Race forever!

To add my anecdotal evidence... PS4s tend to sell very quickly in my area since launch, where as Xbox tends to sit (they are never out of stock) since about 8 months after launch.

I was a great fan of the original Xbox, and I carried on with the 360. I switched to Sony mid way through that generation and never looked back - MS just seemed to have lost their way, and Sony took off with far better exclusives. I don't know what it was like in the states, but the xbone launch here in Europe was abismal, MS missed an open goal, as is their habit. They still have a strong presence though, and they've been running tempting deals lately. They just need to sort out their library.

I own both, but a majority of my buddies own Xbone (yes im US based). I like the PS4 but the controller is terrible compared to the Xbox controller so I usually play Xbox unless there's a IP I need to play on PS4.

I am the exact opposite. I dont know anyone who owns a One and the people who I did know I convinced to get a PS.

Last edited:

In SF for example, there are *tonnes* of iPhones. But globally, Samsung (let alone the whole Android ecosystem) has larger marketshare.

It would be like living in a red state and saying no-one must vote blue because all I see is red. It doesn't work that way.

Expiriencing game freezing and frame rate drops until connected a fast USB 3 external hdd.
I played online on PS3 a lot of and didn't notice a tremendous difference between game pads. But people say that the game pad of PS4 is even better then PS3's one. Also having a pain in my left hand after 20-30 minutes with XB1.
The dashboard is having changes from time to time and you need to figure out again where what you are looking is. Some section of the dashboard can hung up the console while surfing that is highly annoying.
What is a graphic quality on XB1? I compared a budjet computer with R360 and it blows XB1 away. If do not compare pixel by pixel on static images XB1 looses in dinamic scenes so noticable that there is not a wish to come back from PC. So in case that same games look better on PC and are cheaper what is a reason to use XB1? Becasue of few exclusives? Because of 4k blu-ray player that you need to pair with a new TV? It's a matter. I turn on my XB1 once a month to check updates or promos and turn it off to continue collecting dust.

My guess is from what the article states is that you live in the USA then ! According to the article !

Back