Earning money by testing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjKraid

Hi!

I was wondering if it's true that u can earn money by testing new unreleased games...or is it just a myth?!?

If it's true where can I sign up? :p

I don't know about unreleased, but it's true for newly released games. One of my friends actually does it. He was a regular contributor of hints, easter eggs etc. to a magazine here, who noticed his frequent responses and contacted him for the job. He receives a game from them and has to play it and complete it upto a certain percentage and then submit a written review to them. He gets paid for it and gets to keep the game! He's currently reviewing the new Spider-Man game I think.

Nice!

I tryed to find something on EA:s site but the didn't have any open jobs :/
do u know where i could sign up?

Actually, you have to have advanced knowledge in video game designs if you're going to be a tester. You can't just walk up and say "LOL LET ME TEST YOU VIDEOGAMES!!111", because you need to play the game in debug mode and look for specific errors that can be fixed, you'll write up reports on the bug and give it to the programmer for him/her to fix it.

I've interned for Ensemble Studios when I was going to University and I learned a lot about this stuff.

Actually, you have to have advanced knowledge in video game designs if you're going to be a tester. You can't just walk up and say "LOL LET ME TEST YOU VIDEOGAMES!!111", because you need to play the game in debug mode and look for specific errors that can be fixed, you'll write up reports on the bug and give it to the programmer for him/her to fix it.

I've interned for Ensemble Studios when I was going to University and I learned a lot about this stuff.

What did you study while at university? I am a Computer Science major and I am curious if you did the same. If so, how did you find out about it?

On a side note, its a shame what happend to Ensemble.

What did you study while at university? I am a Computer Science major and I am curious if you did the same. If so, how did you find out about it?

On a side note, its a shame what happend to Ensemble.

I studied Graphics Arts, and I wanted to join Ensemble and they just happened to be right across the street from where I went to University. So I interned as soon as I could. :)

And yeah, I loved Ensemble and their Age of Empire series. It's sad to see companies like that go from greatness to the gone. I'll still enjoy their games though. :)

Yea but get to the point...is it possible to do it over the internet and where can people sign up or apply for it?

Yea but get to the point...is it possible to do it over the internet and where can people sign up or apply for it?

Like I said, you actually need experience in the field before you can start testing games as a job. Try interning at Game Studio if you can, it'll help in the long run if you really want to be a tester.

For now, you can sign up for open betas (or apply to be in a closed beta) for games that are coming out.

Not to mention the tedium that goes along with game testing.

As far as I know, testing requires you go through a game over and over thinking of new ways to break the engine that players could possibly think of. Hope you like tedium. Though, paradox may prove me wrong. :]

Not to mention the tedium that goes along with game testing.

As far as I know, testing requires you go through a game over and over thinking of new ways to break the engine that players could possibly think of. Hope you like tedium. Though, paradox may prove me wrong. :]

Actually, you do that a few times, you stress the engine on how much it can take. :)

It's more complex than just spawning a bunch of props though.

wouldn't that be a gametester? heh, my sister worked at activision as a member of their HR. They had alot of young teens that sat around all day playing games testing for bugs and such, would be a epic job imo. Unless you got stuck testing a bad game >.<

u'r sister...nice...does she know how to get in contact or something with activision or how to get a job there maybe..?

Well she lived in venice beach ca, she got the job with basicly no experiance in that type of work and she worked for their HR. So I'm guessing the game tester positions would come down to you finding that position up for grabs..

Oh btw, its not something that is done from home.. They actually work in the same building as the game developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back