EA's game subscription service comes to PC as Origin Access

Scorpus

Staff member

EA's game subscription service, which has been available to console gamers as EA Access for over a year, is now available on PC through the company's Origin game distribution platform as Origin Access.

Origin Access has a selection of benefits for its $4.99 monthly price. The main one is access to The Vault, which is a collection of 'free' games that you can download and play so long as you're an Origin Access subscriber. The Vault currently includes 15 games – such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Battlefield 4, Need for Speed Rivals, and The Sims 3 – and more games will be added over time.

The service will also give gamers early access to trials of upcoming EA games, demos of every EA game in the store, and a 10 percent discount on any purchase in the Origin store.

Unfortunately, EA is not giving PC gamers the option to buy a year of Origin Access up front for $29.99, which is a decent discount over paying $4.99 per month for an entire year. This yearly subscription option is currently only available to EA Access subscribers, and there's no deal allowing gamers to bundle together Origin Access and EA Access.

At this stage, Origin Access is only available in four countries: the United States, Canada, Germany and the UK. However, EA has stated that the service will launch in more countries soon, hopefully with the same collection of free games.

Permalink to story.

So you have to pay twice, no thanks. This should have been a single service across both platforms.

This is never going to bother me. Any game with the EA logo I avoid like the plague. I haven't bought any of their games in years now.

Average gamer age is 31. I am above that average and games have to be pretty special for me to actually stay with them and finish them (note to self:: get back into Fallout 4 now Christmas is over and done with). Have quite a few unfinished games and not sure what I'd do with "Unlimited games". Although if it was just EA stuff I'd probably be limited to one or two titles. the only reason Origin made it onto my system was for Battlefield 4, now that I no longer play that I should really nuke Origin.

The service will also give gamers early access to trials of upcoming EA games, demos of every EA game in the store, and a 10 percent discount on any purchase in the Origin store.
Pay for demos?What's next, pay for hours spent in the game?

I don't find $60 a year to be "too much" to play games, considering you have great multiplayer and single player collection it's great value, you would be paying one brand new game each year to play multiple. Even when you don't pay more than a year or two years you still get more than you would've payed otherwise, and you won't have to buy the new BF5 or DA:X.

Even then, I don't like EA nor Origin but for someone who does it's a great deal.

Do you even read?

I don't find $60 a year to be "too much" to play games, considering you have great multiplayer and single player collection it's great value, you would be paying one brand new game each year to play multiple. Even when you don't pay more than a year or two years you still get more than you would've payed otherwise, and you won't have to buy the new BF5 or DA:X.

Even then, I don't like EA nor Origin but for someone who does it's a great deal.

Do you even read?
Yes, the service will give you access to every demo. Why would someone pay to get access to every demo since demos are free(or maybe ea has paid ones, did not check)?Maybe it could have been $3.99 without this, unless this is considered as a free bonus to the subscription.

Yes, the service will give you access to every demo. Why would someone pay to get access to every demo since demos are free(or maybe ea has paid ones, did not check)?Maybe it could have been $3.99 without this, unless this is considered as a free bonus to the subscription.

It's listed along with all the other benefits, at least I understand those are bonuses.

Haven't bought a EA game since origin started. You can get better discounts for new games from "grey" sites, and as it's EA your conscience will be clean like Robin Hood's. The games you get to play for "free" are old or bad and only worth 5$ each.

No expansions to you would still need to buy them. The Base games are all ready $5 to $10.00 bucks why rent them for $5.00 a month

*desperately searches for way to bash EA* *lashes onto first opportunity not caring if it's nonsensical*

seriously I'm not an EA fan in the slightest but actually read plz..

As for each game costing 5-10 bad price, what if you wanna buy 8? That's 40-80 dollars which is 8-16 months of service in which time you can be long past being Bored with those games.

This has plenty of value to certain people.

Woopie ..... I'm guessing they really think everyone is that desperate? It's been tried before in the past and failed..... film at 11.

Back