Eee PC 900HD powers on, then turns off

Howdy!

I perused your forums in regards to my issue. I decided to post because It seems my situation has some slight differences.

I had to replace a screen on an eee PC 900 HD that was my daughters. This laptop has been down and "lost" for two years. I just found it, got a new screen from Ebay and was going to give it as a gift to my niece.

I replaced the screen and everything looked great! I'd forgotten that I'd done a clean install of Factory Windows, so I went through the motions with that, then proceeded to do Windows Update. The first time I tried to do an update it told me "Error, Forbidden" on the website. I clicked around a little, tried again, failed, got frustrated, then rebooted.

Upon rebooting, the windows update started to work. It did the ActiveX thingy and started downloading the file it needed to use for updating purposes. It got to 100% and hung out there for about 60 seconds then *BLINK* the laptop turns off.

I was like WTH?? And tried to turn it back on from the power button. It turned on, booted up, got just past the BIOS and *BLINK* off it went again. When I tried to turn it on again, it wouldn't do anything. I unplugged it, took off the battery, plugged it back in, and turned it back on. It booted to the point where it said windows shut down wrong, do you want to safe mode or regular load yadda yadda. I picked regular then *BLINK* off again!

I took off the keyboard to feel the plate underneath which is over three areas where thermal tape was and it was warm to the touch, but not HOT. I left the keyboard propped up (In the event it was overheating...if that mattered) and turned on the laptop again. This time, I went into the BIOS to see what the temperature overheating setting was, and could not find that anywhere in the BIOS. Yay me!

I booted back to windows again, and it loaded windows, I tabbed through a few things... all was good - for about 3 minutes. *BLINK*

Then I got pissed. I opened the laptop again, checked the thermal tape. Added some artic silver to the warmer squares (there were three with thermal tape. Don't know what was what cause I didn't check. Was too mad) closed 'er back up and tried again. She worked for all of 8 minutes this time. friggin *BLINK* again!

After reading your forums, I tried putting the battery back on, letting it charge, then I was going to try again with just the battery. HOWEVER, the battery light keeps slowly blinking red and now that I look at it durn near 2 hours later... there is NO light on at all!

After all of this, here's the clincher. I just installed a backlight inverter and new screen hinges on a Compaq C300 laptop. Just finished it Saturday. That dang laptop was doing the same exact thing this past weekend! It would shut off, then they would have to unplug it, then plug it back in to get it to power back on! It's resolved itself since then but man! What tha cuss is going on? Am I touching something on these screens that's shorting them out or something?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figure all information is better than part information.

Thanks folks!

Sounds like you've covered bases pretty well. Running the netbook without a battery definitely rules that out. Display issues wouldn't cause that the happen during boot, and essentially it all points towards either overheating of the CPU, or a motherboard issue.

Assuming your fan is working on the CPU heatsink, you can rule that out. So unfortunately it sounds to me like its motherboard related.

Are you confident its not a software issue, and a BSOD during boot up that your experiencing? It sounds hardware related, but worth bearing in mind.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Funny thing about this little spit, there is NO fan that I can see on it! Only other thing I can think of is maybe the thermal tape needs to be redone... I added paste on top of the tape (from sheer frustration).

I hope it is NOT the motherboard. Ya'll please help me figure out something else!

I don't see how adding thermal paste on top of the tape has helped you. You need to do it properly, and then retest to see if it solves the issue.

Until you do this you cannot isolate that as the issue.

Now what else can go wrong... wait.... oh crap.

Sorry for the delay in posting to this thread. I gave up momentarily, because...

I took off the thermal tape, added a nice fresh dollup of thermal paste (Artic Silver, the good stuff no less!) and plugged her in!

What did I get??? Nada. Nothing. Zip. No lights, no nuthin.

*Sigh* Do I have another cord to test to see if its fried?? Heck no. So... for the moment, I got a new screen all for naught.

I did plug the cord itself into another outlet and got a bug zapper sound. SO, i'm wondering if the power brick is "Bricked". Won't know until I get another cord to try it with.

Thanks for the audience. :-/

** Update **

Hello my fellow threadians!

I found another power brick to use (Go Kim!) and plugged it in w/o the battery. Nada.

Put the battery in and plugged it up and VIOLA! It works! Why it worked without the battery before and now it wont, I have no idea.

Also, I have it plugged up now, and doing windows updates! Let's hope that it continues running without doing the whole *BLINK* thing again!!!

The battery light is blinking red... does anyone know if that's what it does while it's charging??? Sigh. I'll read the manual. :p

Update #2

Okay.

Before I could get to read the manual, it finished downloading updates, then asked to install them. I clicked on install... seriously that's all I did... and the screen started doing this wierd ordeal like how the tvs do in movies when the ailens are sending transmission signals about how they are coming to destroy the planet?? (How it jumps a little and have vertical (Up and down) Lines along the side) then *BLINK* off she goes!

Seriously people! Can someone tell me what tha ham sammich is going on???

There's no seperate vid card, so wth???

Try unplugging the keyboard from the notebook, and use a USB keyboard to test it. Mine was making a short circuit, and had to replace it.

Back