El Cheapo CD-R's not burning??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

Anyone else erm, Frugal like me tried any super cheap CDR's?

I found an absolute Bargain, 25 for $11 au.

Wouldn't burn if you Napalmed 'em. They could be Thermal Tiles from the Space Shuttle etc.

From now on I'm sticking to "name" brands

:dead:

It is never a good idea to use absolutely the cheapest thing for anything. Haven't heard of chreap CDRs being completely useless. I have had some that would burn one out of three.

You could try updating your CD recorder's firmaware to make sure it's not a media identification issue.

Try burning them at a lower speed, I've bought really cheap ones in bulk several times before (ordered 400 once and sold some of those to friends) and never had any real problems. Infact I'm not sure they even fail more often on my burner than branded ones, when they fail its usually something I caused (like bumping the comp, or having another program trying to access the burner, ect). My burner is only 4x though, so you might try buring at much slower speeds.

In my expierence the cheap disks just either scratch easier, or the top layer flakes off very easily.

NODSU, yeah 1 in 3 or 4. Maybe I'll drop the speed RIGHT down as suggested by SNGX.

As for the Firmwear, I constantly oil the oscillating whirligig, and have had the laughing wheel re-ramped. I've fitted a titanium drawer and upped the power to 3 phase 500v. I,ve replaced the laser with a 60w soldering iron and welded the slave jumper in.
I had some trouble fitting the intercooler though...
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back