Electric Shock = No Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvolZx6R

So i was about to start up some Battlefield 2 and noticed my audio wasnt plugged into my bass speaker. The plug was in the PC but not the bass speaker.I grabbed the audio plug and received a small electric shock. My computer then shut itself off. Now it doesnt boot up. I get power...HD's, Fans all working. I just dont get video or the power-on beep from the motherboard. Ultimately im probably going to have to do some trial and error on parts but I was hoping if anyone could provide any feedback as to how to remedy the problem.

AMD dual 3800
ATI Radeon x1600Pro (PCI-E)
Asus A8N-E board

My motherboard shows a green light. i'm assuming all is well with the board. not sure though

search how to test PSU
the main plug that goes to the motherboard
they way I remember it the green wire and the black next to it short them out
have a meter on the hard drive power plug see if you get 12 or 5 volts from any pair yellow and black or red and black
do this quickly as the PSU is not meant for prolonged short here actual is a TTL high low signal.
it do sound like you fried the psu rail or the motherboard is toast

this should be proformed by an adult

The green light doesn't mean "all is well". It means "this green LED has power".

Do you have integrated sound or a sound card? If it's the latter, try removing it.

You probably fried something with the static discharge. Something in the audio controller, something in the motherboard, something in the PSU, another device on the PCI(-Express) bus...

You just have to start unplugging/replacing bits and see which one is the culprit.

Electric Shocker

It wasnt static.....it was an all out electric shock. If i hadnt dropped the plug I would've continued to be shocked. I guess my mthod of madness will revolve around the psu and vidcard first. turns out a buddy of mine as a pci vid card. hopefully that'll get the video up.... i'll keep you posted

Not good. A shock like that may mean a short to ground - in which case you may have fried your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back