Element 14 launches high-res Wolfson Audio Card for Raspberry Pi

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Raspberry Pi fans have something new to be excited about as the company recently launched an audio card. The Element 14 Wolfson Audio Card, created with the help of Wolfson Audio, delivers high-res audio up to 24-bit/192KHz via the tiny PC’s P5 pins.

As you may already know, the Raspberry Pi has audio capabilities via HDMI but even still, many have turned to USB peripheral cards for added features. The Wolfson Audio solution eliminates the need for a USB device as it includes the following connections:

raspberry raspberry pi sound card

• 3.5mm jack for microphone input
  • 3.5mm jack (4-pole) for headset/boom mic combination for gaming or VoIP applications
  • On-board MEMS microphone, a 3.5 mm jack stereo line input for connection to devices such as digital audio players (iPod etc.) or mobile phones
  • 3.5 mm jack stereo line output for connection to devices such as external stereo amplifiers or powered speakers
  • S/PDIF input and outputs

Elsewhere, the board contains a class D power amplifier for external speakers with a connection to an external power source if needed and a small pin header for extra functions if they are low cost, already on-chip and don't require any further components.

The card retails for $33 which is actually a bit more than the $25 computer itself. Do note, however, it requires a revision 2 or later Raspberry Pi for connectivity purposes. Cards are available as of writing although Element 14’s website says fewer than 3,600 are in stock.

Permalink to story.

By the time you get done puttering around with, and buying junk to add on to, a Raspberry Pi, couldn't you just buy the cheapest pre-built HP desktop you can find, and do something good for yourself, like go out and play tennis?

By the time you get done puttering around with, and buying junk to add on to, a Raspberry Pi, couldn't you just buy the cheapest pre-built HP desktop you can find, and do something good for yourself, like go out and play tennis?

its a programmable computer. the addons are optional not a necessity

It's not meant for you to buy one to reinvent the wheel.

Those are meant as educative tools specially for computer science labs where children could actually learn from doing things with a computer besides playing on facebook. It's wrapped around development to promote and enhance the IT knowledge.

Now... some people have bought those so far for other purposes, I got one for a project involving a virtually non powered server for a micro company (We call those PYMEs here in Chile "Pequeña y Micro Empresas": Small and Micro companies), I've seen some neat proyects out there, google Raspberry Pi.

Golly them berry pi users!

By golly then, I'm gonna git me one o' them thar Berry Pi jobbies, and reinvent the wheel in assembly language!

I actually own a raspberry Pi which I use with a quick install of Linux for programming purposes and as a file server when needed. They are interesting enough for that purpose hence why I got one because it uses no power and is great for just doing the basics.

I do agree though, once you start adding all the fancy add on's and such you might as well have just bought yourself one of those on sale computers on newegg with an i3 or the likes for the same price :p.

Oh yes, btw, this is not meant for every user of the RPi out there, this might be more of a niche thing where some projects require better sound.

For example, I installed once an XBMC distro for the RPi and the video was great for such a small and power friendly device, so this could perfectly be used for home theater projects or whatnot.

All in all you could indeed buy a cheap computer for maybe the same price as this + addons but the energy efficience won't be the same if you want it for a specific function.

Oh yes, btw, this is not meant for every user of the RPi out there, this might be more of a niche thing where some projects require better sound.

For example, I installed once an XBMC distro for the RPi and the video was great for such a small and power friendly device, so this could perfectly be used for home theater projects or whatnot.

All in all you could indeed buy a cheap computer for maybe the same price as this + addons but the energy efficience won't be the same if you want it for a specific function.
Well I have plugged in a USB sound card before to the Pi and it gave decent audio output. Then again I normally don't use it for anything that needs audio unless im storing something on it as a file server so its got its advantages.

But as for me, I doubt ill be rushing off to buy one of those for my Pi unless for some reason the USB one stops working and instead of grabbing another USB one I decide to go this route.

OK Jacques, I'm 65 years old, and I've been a member pushing 8 years. What that means is this, I don't need someone with 17 posts telling me what you do, or don't need, to reap any benefit from owning an RPi.

The facts support my original post. Everybody and their mother are releasing add-ons for it. If you go "all in" buying them, then you'll have spent enough to have purchased a refurb Dell Opteron, or possibly something better.
It's not meant for you to buy one to reinvent the wheel....[ ]....
OK amigo mio, when you see me using dialectic humor, it's pure undiluted, unapologetic, unadorned snot, plain and simple . (BTW, I have posted in the above paragraph , BASIC's if / then logic in bold for you).

I don't need you to explain the reason behind the RPi, to me either. I owned an Atari 1200, I had BASIC and assembler cartridges for it. I also understand what an, "electronics breadboard project" is.

Now let's tackle the "green issue". Every time I log on to my credit card accounts, the banks are asking me to "go green", by, "going paperless", with my accounts. What that means is, they're going to save money, by not paying postage, and not printing statements. They are however, going to still charge the same predatory interest rates, and pocket my "green savings" as well.

So, if you really need to cobble together some piecemeal nonsense to save quantos varios centavos, entonces gastar las ahhoras en buen salud....;)

BTW, the material about the "mini-enterprises" was interesting. People are funding, "unsecured micro-small business loans", from this country, mainly in Africa (? not sure if that's the only locale), and seen to be getting paid back and helping people at the same time. "Win, win, I suppose you could call that.

Last edited:
OK Jacques, I'm 65 years old, and I've been a member pushing 8 years. What that means is this, I don't need someone with 17 posts telling me what you do, or don't need, to reap any benefit from owning an RPi.

The facts support my original post. Everybody and their mother are releasing add-ons for it. If you go "all in" buying them, then you'll have spent enough to have purchased a refurb Dell Opteron, or possibly something better.
It's not meant for you to buy one to reinvent the wheel....[ ]....
OK amigo mio, when you see me using dialectic humor, it's pure undiluted, unapologetic, unadorned snot, plain and simple . (BTW, I have posted in the above paragraph , BASIC's if / then logic in bold for you).

I don't need you to explain the reason behind the RPi, to me either. I owned an Atari 1200, I had BASIC and assembler cartridges for it. I also understand what an, "electronics breadboard project" is.

Now let's tackle the "green issue". Every time I log on to my credit card accounts, the banks are asking me to "go green", by, "going paperless", with my accounts. What that means is, they're going to save money, by not paying postage, and not printing statements. They are however, going to still charge the same predatory interest rates, and pocket my "green savings" as well.

So, if you really need to cobble together some piecemeal nonsense to save quantos varios centavos, entonces gastar las ahhoras en buen salud....;)

BTW, the material about the "mini-enterprises" was interesting. People are funding, "unsecured micro-small business loans", from this country, mainly in Africa (? not sure if that's the only locale), and seen to be getting paid back and helping people at the same time. "Win, win, I suppose you could call that.
sorry about that I have respect for people older than me

I got the part of the figurative speech, did the same replying in that way. And yes, the project was very cool for the micro enterpreneurs.

By golly I remember belonging a group called GOM in OSpace (Grumpy Old Men) :p

....[ ]....
By golly I remember belonging a group called GOM in OSpace (Grumpy Old Men) :p
Well see, now you no longer have to submit to a stereotype to be a "G.O.M."! You can do it right here at Techspot.......Er........back at cha...> :p

Considering how bad I am at playing at tennis I would find spending time mucking about with a Raspberry Pi far more beneficial!

Back