Emachine T2865 PSU VS MOTHERBOARD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have an Desktop Emachine T2865, I think it's been 5 years since I first bought it. well around last week out of no where while I'm typing or doing something the computer closes all programs and proceeds to shut down. And then when i tried to start the computer up, it would not power up. I unplugged the power cord and then plugged it back in, then I pushed the power up button and it worked, then few minutes later the computer shut down again. (Turns on, works fine for a little then shuts off). And it is not overheating problem, because everything is cool, and the computer had been turned off previously.

now with time wondering about it, I went to go check the power supply unit box, I pulled/took the Power Supply Unit out and try to clean the dust and stuff from it's fan, but then when I proceed to plug the power cord back in and push the power up button, the computer does not boot up. (does not turn on at all)

Here's what's happening:
- The only way to get the computer kind of on is by plugging in the power cord, which auto starts the computer but the computer does not boot up.
- I can see/hear the Fan turning on
- But there is No beep, like it usually beeps when you first turn on the computer
- There is blue light around the (E) machine power up button but I cannot start the computer by pushing it, I can only start it by plugging in the power cord
- The Cd drive does not work, like it does not open at all when the power cord is plugged in.
- HDD LED IS on

Is this a Power Supply unit box problem or a motherboard problem?
If I got a new power supply unit box, will it fix the problem?

----------------------------------------------------
Here's the computer info:
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ Processor (2.083GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD
Optical Drive: DVD ± RW Drive (Write Max: 4x DVD±R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 2x DVD-RW, 16x CD-R and 10x CD-RW disks, Reads 12x Max. DVD-ROM disks, Reads 40x Max. CD-ROM disks); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD; 8-in-1 Media Reader(USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Hello, emachinehelp, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, eMachines are known for having cheap PSU's that blow one day and often take out the motherboard on the way out.

Try this tutorial: Suspect a Dead PSU? How to be sure.

If the PSU fails the tutorial then try putting another one in and see if the PC boots. If it doesn't, then you need a new motherboard as well.

It Ummm.......Depends....

This has been the source of much lively discussion here at Techspot. The PSU? The Mobo? Which blew first, the chicken or the egg?

OK, the PSU is most likely bad, that having been said, read on.......

If your Emachines has the Bestec 250 Watt PSU, your problem is most likely to be a bad PSU ... AND... a bad motherboard. If your PSU is the Bestec 300 Watt unit, you might be very lucky and have only a bad PSU. The 300 watters don't seem to be as lethal to Mobos when they fail. However, the early Emachines with certain Tri-Gem mobos have bad capacitors in the Mobo, and sometimes the failure seems to happen in reverse, whereas the mobo fails and takes out the PSU along with it. In any event, look for the model of the PSU and also for any damage to the motherboard capacitors before you try substituting the PSU. I have a later (about 3yrs) Emachine T-5026 which has had 2 PSU failures and still keeps on kickin', but, it also has an Intel (915 GAG) motherboard.

Tedster said:
you get what you pay for.
Very true, as is "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" :D

You could apply this to PSU's - e.g. you may find a $30 500W one, but it won't last anywhere near as long as a $100 500W one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back