Inactive Email attachment (virus?) hid all my icons besides IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened an attachment on an email and my computer totally freaked out and then all my icons were missing besides IE. I tried to run AVG scan but it closed partway through the scan. Then I downloaded AVG internet security 2012 trial version and ran that and it ran. It didn't discover anything. My mom was able to unhide all my icons and all my data seems to be intact. I have run through all the prescribed steps to remove virus/malware and have all the log files saved. How do I know if everything is clean? I plan to remove all my data and wipe my system, but I don't want to transfer any virus or malware with my data.

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

You have to decide what you want to do, clean your computer, or reformat.

However, if you think I can safely remove my data from the computer without moving the virus/malware with it, then I'm fine with moving the data and then reformatting.

Back up all data you want, disconnect external drive.
Format, reinstall Windows, update, install all security programs.

Now to prevent anything jumping from the external drive to your computer install this...

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop (Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, scroll down)

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 users
Flash Disinfector is not compatible with the above Windows version.
Please, use Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer

Now you're safe to connect external drive and scan it with your AV program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back