Energizer's 18,000mAh phone ends crowdfunding campaign 99% short of target

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Never mistake curiosity for a willingness to buy a product. That’s the lesson Energizer and Avenir Telecom may have learned after the massive Power Max P18K Pop, famous for its 18,000mAh battery, finished its Indiegogo campaign with $15,005 from just 11 backers—slightly short of the $1.2 million funding goal.

Back at this year's Mobile World Congress, the prototype Power Max P18K Pop gained a huge amount of attention. The successor to the Power Max P16K Pro, it upped the battery from an already massive 16,000mAh to 18,000mAh.

Energizer said its 22mm-thick handset would allow users to continuously watch videos for two days, listen to 100 hours of music, or talk for 90 hours. It also provides 50 days of standby time.

With so much interest around the phone, one might have expected it to become a crowdfunding hit. But the warning signs were there when, a week into its Indiegogo campaign, just three backers had pledged $2,725 of their money. Avenir Telecom, which licenses Energizer’s name for use on phones, was looking for a wildly optimistic $1.2 million.

Now the campaign is over and the final figure stands at $15,005, just 1 percent of its goal.

While a phone that can go days without charging is a compelling prospect, it seems the P18K’s massive size wasn’t as appealing. The mid-range Helio p70 SoC and a lack of waterproofing probably didn’t help, either.

This might not be the last we see of the P18K. Following the end of the campaign, Avenir Telecom wrote: “Although it didn’t reach its goal, we will work on further improvement on the P18K (design, thickness, etc.) as we do believe there is a rising interest for smartphones with incredible battery life, which can also be used as power banks.”

Permalink to story.

Well, it's a good thing they tested the waters through crowdfunding, before fully committing to the product development.

I have an oukitel k10000 pro with a 10,000mh battery sits on my desk for a couple of weeks between charges, I do not go out much but when I do I dont have to worry about the charge too much. had it a couple of years now, it is quite heavy so I`d hate to think how heavy that phone is.

What I am surprised is why a big company such as Energizer turned to crowd-funding. It's already a mega big battery producer.

Looking for easy money?

This sucks.
Actually, it was a good idea - Energizer tried to step in a market they never have been before. They tried to kill two birds with one stone - do both the market research (I.e. will the customer buy the product?) and secure funding for the product development. They may have seen it as a gateway of expanding into smartphone batteries and so on. The unfolding events proved that they were right - despite some initial strong interest, the customers weren't willing to commit their money. They probably took in some negative publicity as failure does not look good anywhere. The classic path was too risky - imaging after one year of costly development funded by your own company, you discover nobody will buy your stuff. Happened before

What I am surprised is why a big company such as Energizer turned to crowd-funding. It's already a mega big battery producer.

Looking for easy money?

This sucks.

"Avenir Telecom, which licenses Energizer’s name for use on phones"

Did you not notice this? Energizer is leasing its name to AT. Sure, Energizer will post up media about it, but it is just one company licensing to take advantage again of a brand name.

They tried to kill two birds with one stone - do both the market research (I.e. will the customer buy the product?) and secure funding for the product development.

I don't think that would be an accurate measure of public interest. As soon as I saw their name on a crowd funding project I wondered why they couldn't be bothered to invest in their own R&D.

Maybe if they were offering company shares.

Personally I think the whole thing was a marketing stunt from the beginning. I believe they knew they could not bring it to market but went ahead with a crowdfunding attempt just to grab attention. IMHO

I don't think that would be an accurate measure of public interest. As soon as I saw their name on a crowd funding project I wondered why they couldn't be bothered to invest in their own R&D.
I thought the same thing.

This phone takes the complaints about small batteries and ran out of left field with it.

Why not just makes a water resistant phone with a removable battery, like the Galaxy S5? Thats what most of us want, the ability to attach a big brick if we want.

This thing was so big that my note 4 with its 10000MaH brick was small by comparison. And it had a crappy mediatek chip. Nobody wants to pay $650 for a mediatek phone, thats like paying $60K for a Kia. If it had a top of the line snapdragon and ran pure android with guaranteed updates there may have been more support.

This phone takes the complaints about small batteries and ran out of left field with it.

Why not just makes a water resistant phone with a removable battery, like the Galaxy S5? Thats what most of us want, the ability to attach a big brick if we want.
YES. I remember when I bought my Samsung Blackjack (i607) in 2007. AT&T had it bundled with an extended backup battery that was larger than the OEM (don't recall the mAh) and a different back cover to accommodate it. Made the phone a bit thicker with an asymmetrical bulge, but I didn't care. I used the extended battery most and only used the OEM when the bigger one was charging.

Please make removable batteries a thing again.

Sigh MTK chips huh, well it seems like a cheap chinese phone to begin with. energizer is probably better off selling iphone battery cases.

They went bit too much into extreme. Phones with bigger battery can definitely do well. Like I have Moto Z Play, which definitely sold well, despite being nothing special hardware wise, but with decently sized battery and less power hungry hardware, it easily lasts me two days. Unlike some phones I had, which needed charging on same day. Plus it was really affordable and it flagship expensive. Shame Motorola didn't understand what made first Z Play good and newer versions weren't as good.

But having phone with good enough battery to last few days would be great. Especially if other specs are good and not sacrifice everything for battery.

Perhaps a 5000 mAh battery, a 6000, or even possibly a 10000. 18000 was a bridge too far! I'd go with it being a marketing stunt as well. Maybe just to get a feel for crowdfunding ventures. Maybe they'll do something more attainable next time.

Back