Energizer's Power Max P16K Pro smartphone packs a colossal 16,000mAh battery

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Battery manufacturer Energizer is jumping into the crowded smartphone industry. At Mobile World Congress this week, the company is showcasing a prototype handset featuring an absolutely massive 16,000mAh battery. If you’re looking for a solution to battery life woes, this could very well be it.

The phone, dubbed the Energizer Power Max P16K Pro, is manufactured by Avenir Telecom. It features a 5.99-inch display driven by a MediaTek Helio P23 processor alongside 6GB of RAM and 128GB of local storage that’s expandable via microSD card slot.

Other noteworthy amenities include a fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C connectivity, two SIM card slots, a 3.5mm audio jack, dual rear cameras (16-megapixel and 13-megapixel) and dual front cameras (13-megapixel and 5-megapixel). It’ll ship running Android 8.0, we’re told.

TechRadar says the handset weighs 350 grams and is about 15mm thick. According to the site, that translates to a device that feels like two six-inch phones stacked on top of each other. Using USB Power Delivery, the phone’s battery can reportedly be topped off in just 90 minutes. Unfortunately, the P16K Pro’s battery can’t be used as a power bank to charge other devices.

Energizer’s phone isn’t going to win any design awards but it’s exactly what many have asked for – a phone that packs an absolutely massive battery, aesthetics be damned. With such an option soon to become a reality, the only question is whether or not people will truly want what they’ve wished for.

Look for the Energizer Power Max P16K Pro to arrive in September around the $740 mark.

All images courtesy Raymond Wong, Mashable

Permalink to story.

"Energizer’s phone isn’t going to win any design awards but it’s exactly what many have asked for – a phone that packs an absolutely massive battery, aesthetics be damned."

Why wouldn't it win design awards? Its a very nice looking device and it has better specs than 90% of what's available at that price point. If its got a competitively high-res screen I don't know why a serious phone user would buy anything else. Easier to grip as well, meaning less drops and accidental screen presses. Now it just needs a version with a portrait QWERTY.

Reminds me of the last phone to have a large battery as its main selling point - the Droid Maxx. However, I just looked it up and was shocked that that it only had a 3630 mAh battery. The s8 has a 3000 mAh battery, and the s8 plus has a 3500 mAh battery.

I like battery cases - you have the option of a bulky package for longer life, or a thin phone that fits nicely in your pocket.

It's about time, I'm tired of all the improvements in battery tech used to make the battery physically smaller to reduce the thickness of a phone.

People say they never see improvements in battery tech, we are but it's just used to make it smaller.

I think it's a bit much. I prize battery life but I am certain there is a better balance to be had.

The Lenovo P2 had it about right with a 5100mah pack. It was certainly a little bit chunky but without close inspection it wasn't immediately apparent, unlike this. I also applaud Xiaomi, they have been keen to add larger than industry average batteries to most of their products and it is a boon.

Maybe for someone that is out in the middle of nowhere for days on end, but even the 4,000mAH battery in my Huawei 9, with hard use can EASILY make it through a day and a half, with great specs & half the price almost.

I think the people want better battery life in addition to the features and performance they are used to now, and that P23 isn't exactly in the most exciting or popular devices, so Energizer better not get their hopes up.

I have an oukitel k10000 pro which has a 10000 mh battery 2 weeks between charges, sits on my desk most times until I need to go out. They also do a rugged version k10000 max, so not news to me., the 10000mh has been out for years. Thought I should mention, less than £200

Last edited:
On my last purchase I picked the less powerful, more battery version of a flagship phone. It has a 4000 mAh battery. It still not enough. 8000 mAh would be awesome and the perfect balance for my use.

I like the idea, but....$750 for a phone with a mediatek chipset? Seems a bit much, as does he 6 inch screen. I'd prefer a snapdragon 845 or similar.

I'll keep an open mind though., a giant phone with a giant battery sounds amazing. Maybe itll grow on me. Wonder if they will make a 5 inch version.

Last edited:
A phone really only needs 2 days of power. Every phone should get plugged in overnight and it's nice if it's ok the next day if you forget. But beyond that is just extra weight/thickness/cost.

Is there any reason they don't make a 2 sided phone? one side like a regular smartphone.. and the other like a paperwhite.. or a way to offset the crystals on the one side to incorporate both? With the screen brightness being a major contributing factor of battery drain.. why not work something for the screen instead of increasing battery size.

Back