Epic Games is repurposing an old shopping mall as its next headquarters

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Amazon has also expressed interest in repurposing failed malls, but Epic’s case is a bit unique in that the Cary Towne Center is located in its hometown of Cary, North Carolina. With the move, Epic is continuing to invest in its local community and there’s a lot to be said for that.

Epic Games is trying something new with its next major project.

The video game developer and publisher over the weekend announced plans to acquire Cary Towne Center, an indoor shopping mall that originally opened in 1979. The mall thrived during the 80s, leading to a huge expansion the following decade.

All good things must come to an end, however, and Cary Towne Center was no exception. As the retail landscape shifted and online sales picked up, tenants started moving out. The once-thriving retail center became a shell of its former self and was even scheduled to be closed and demolished following the 2020 holiday shopping season.

That’s when Epic came to the rescue.

Realizing the opportunity, Epic agreed to purchase the tired mall and will repurpose the space as its new company headquarters. Work to transform the mall into a property with office buildings and recreational space will begin this year and is expected to wrap up by 2024. Financial terms of the purchase were not shared.

Permalink to story.

With the impact of COVID-19 there will continue to be a downturn in malls & any big box stores so these buildings are going to be ripe for take over and modification for large corporate use. The biggest problem with them will be their more complex infrastructure designed for multiple units rather than one, but that can be corrected. The other obvious problem could be size .... unless the corporation is large enough to use the entire footprint there may need to be some sharing .... again, not insurmountable ....

I wouldn't exactly praise Epic over this. It's better than it going to waste, but lets be real. They probably got a really good deal on the property (not like there would be have been loads of buyers lined up). So all in all it seems like a good use of money and available space (which I applaud), but hardly seems like a charitable act. Especially as they refused to share the financial details of the purchase, which you know they'd shouting loud and proud about if it was beneficial to them.

I wouldn't exactly praise Epic over this. It's better than it going to waste, but lets be real. They probably got a really good deal on the property (not like there would be have been loads of buyers lined up). So all in all it seems like a good use of money and available space (which I applaud), but hardly seems like a charitable act. Especially as they refused to share the financial details of the purchase, which you know they'd shouting loud and proud about if it was beneficial to them.
Everyone benefits on that, the city, epic, many people involved in building, fitting and maintenance. That's good enough to be happy.

A big tech company “investing” in the local community... Where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah, Amazon in Seattle. All of Amazon’s “investment” in Seattle turned into a dystopian nightmare where rich young techies live like kings when locals turn to tent cities clinging to shelter. Exorbitant housing and living costs is just the beginning.

Epic isn’t doing this out of kindness. They got a great deal on a smart real estate investment. Investing in the local community? You give them too much credit.

Fitting that the company that is ruining PC gaming is taking over a space that's representative of a model that ruined American cities.

Back