Error loading operating system when trying to install Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a HP 2133 notbook that does not have an internal DVD drive. I needed to reinstall Windows XP so I used an external DVD drive to do this. The CD booted fine and I chose to reinstall windows through the Windows set up consol.

The hard drive was formatted using NTFS (quick) but when the machine rebooted to begin installing the OS it comes up with the error message "Erro loading operating system".

The notebook recognises the DVD drive so that's not the problem. Can anyone help me with this?

It may be related to the SATA controller the hard drive is connected to. Windows lacks the SATA driver you need for Windows to recognize the SATA hard drive. If the BIOS allows you to change from SATA or AHCI mode to IDE mode, do so and see if you can continue the Windows installation. If not, you will need to hit F6 at the prompt and install SATA drivers at this point in Windows Setup. However, you need a floppy drive for this. If you don't have a floppy drive (external might work), you will have to make a slipsteam CD to install Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back