Error number: 0x8024001D

Status
Not open for further replies.
After removing an expired Norton Security from a Dell laptop, I found out that WindowsXP (H.E.) is not updating correctly. The first time I recognized the problem was when I have installed Windows Defender and tried to update it. After a few attempts to update it, the error "0x8024001D" came up. Then, the Windows Update, through IE, has been reading "Error number: 0x8024001D." Microsoft offered a solution to error "0x8024001," not "0x8024001D," which I have followed to the exact fix, but to no avail. Did anyone encounter this error? Or, has anyone managed to fix this error with success?
(NOD32 has been installed to replace Norton, and it is working perfectly--after a few update difficulties).

I use Norton Internet Security. I used to encounter problems when trying to use Windows Update. I emailed Microsoft and they said that there are some programs which block it. Norton was in the list. So I disabled the Norton firewall and Windows Update worked perfectly. I think the same goes for Windows Defender, that you have to disable Norton just before you update the definitions, then enable it after you're done.

Cheers :)

Thanks, Kitty. However, in my case, I have removed Norton Security in its all entirety. Therefore, Norton's Firewall isn't installed on the OS.

Delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and see if it helps.

Note1: A side effect of renaming or deleting the SoftwareDistribution
folder is that you lose your WU/AU History listing (not critical).

Note2: You will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service before
you are allowed to delete this folder, here is how:

Start/Run --> services.msc

Then find "Automatic Updates" in the list, and double click on it.

If the service status is "Started", press the Stop button.

You can now delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

Info obtained from this site: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ResettingMicrosoftUpdateError0x8024001D.aspx

Good luck

ekawalaski said:
Thanks, Kitty. However, in my case, I have removed Norton Security in its all entirety. Therefore, Norton's Firewall isn't installed on the OS.
Oh, oops. What antivirus software are you running now? I think the list that Microsoft gave me had more programs than just Norton. You might try putting Windows Defender's executables (msmpeng.exe and msascui.exe) in your allow list in your antivirus program. That's what I did, and it worked, I think.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back