ESET launches its fifth-generation antivirus products

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

ESET has launched the fifth generation of its security offerings, bringing a host of new features. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, ESET's security products are among the most revered solutions available, receiving the highest consecutive number of Virus Bulletin VB100 awards as well as the most AV-Comparatives Advanced+ awards.

The company underscores some of the new features found in NOD32 Antivirus 5 (just the antivirus) and Smart Security 5 (a full security suite). At least one of the additions -- parental controls -- is limited to Smart Security 5, and it lets you define "roles" for each account to filter various tiers of Web content. You can also block individual sites.

eset nod32 antivirus smart security

The other features are available across the board. "ESET Live Grid" is a cloud-based service that compares your data against the trusted files of ESET's 100 million users. In other words, it's a shared database of scanned data submitted by the company's users. It sounds somewhat similar to VirusTotal, it just doesn't have results for other engines.

Another feature has been dubbed "Removable Media Management" and offers additional protection against removable storage devices such as external hard drives by prompting you to scan them upon insertion. It also allows you to block or allow specific devices based on the media type, manufacturer, device ID, capacity and other attributes.

eset nod32 antivirus smart security

ESET's "Advanced Host-based Intrusion Prevision System" (HIPS) prevents system-level changes and allows you to set rules for your system registry, processes, applications and files. "Gamer Mode" is the last bulleted change, and it enables a silent mode for ESET's software so popups and other annoyances don't spoil your gaming session.

Although there are plenty of respectable freebies around (including Microsoft's Security Essentials, which many of the TechSpot staffers use), you can't do much better than ESET's software if you're looking for paid security software. The plain AV starts at $39.99 a year or $59.99 for two years on one PC, while the suite is $59.99 and $89.99.

Permalink to story.

Sorry Eset...you lost me a few years ago with the subscription prices. Using a combination of MSE & Malwarebytes, I've had zero infections (and I hit a few questionable sites from time to time). The price? ZERO.
I was a Nod32 fan from the beta days of XP, through to the release of Win7, but switched to MSE/Malwarebytes.

Yes, It sounds like an infomercial !!!

Mmm, here are others FREE Antivirus and Firewalls:

1. Avira
2. Avast
3. AVG
4. Comodo
5. Outpost
6. ZoneAlarm

Yeah, these all are FREE !!!
:p

Gamer Mode ? O.o

Like if those 70MB's that NOD32 uses will do a huge impact in games and that "parental Control" seems like something unessential :( Whats next? a cloud based system backup?

Seems like some engineers drank from the boss coffee cup :(

Cota said:
Gamer Mode ? O.o

Like if those 70MB's that NOD32 uses will do a huge impact in games and that "parental Control" seems like something unessential :( Whats next? a cloud based system backup?

Seems like some engineers drank from the boss coffee cup :(

I remember seeing a video on youtube of some employees peeing in the Bosses coffee cup...

hahaha

MSE (#1 in detection and #1 in resources compared to other free products) and Avast(really good overall) are the best free ones and if you really want good protection just use Kaspersky (not free).

I used to use it religiously and LOVED it. it has a super tiny footprint and scans were very fast. however, I use StrongVPN now and it won't work with it so I had to ditch it.

Kaspersky Internet Security and Antivirus are the best products for system protection. it's so good.

I use MSE. But if I get a computer to 'fix' from someone, one of the first things I do is ESET's online scan.

What I find hilarious is that I am reading this with a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 ad next to the article! Too funny! :)

On a more serious note, once you get past ESET's somewhat steep learning curve there's virtually nothing it can't do. And as Guest pointed out, it has a super light footprint when running on your computer (unlike that abominable Norton Security suite), and is incredibly fast and accurate. I'm a fan, and I firmly believe that you get what you pay for....

Note: This is only for "Home" versions. Business Edition Version 5 is not going to be released until first quarter of 2012. I was told this by tech support as the company I for is partnered with ESET.

What I find hilarious is that I am reading this with a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 ad next to the article! Too fun

i don't get what's so funny... -_-

Really, I don't know how someone can pay a Antivirus (or Internet Security Program) when it can get FREE !!!

Almost all Free Antivirus Sotware work very very good !!!

Nobody needs pay for have Norton, McAffe, Kapensky, ESET, ... for feel your PC security...

Come on! Give me a break !!!

I have been running ESET's antivirus since version 2.0. I love it and is worth every penny IMO. I have had no issues in 6+ years.

To the guest above: I run Avast free on two laptops and a PC. I also have the $ version on my wife's new laptop. You can do a whole lot more configuring with the $ than the free.

$40/year for EACH computer? I'm sure it's better than the free stuff, but is it that much better? I really don't understand how the two price points for anti-virus software are either free or a lot.

I've had NOD32 since 2006, just got rid of it to save $$$.

Not sure about the $40 per computer, I loaded it up on 4 different computers I had, and used the same serial, and never had any problems.

But in the time that I had it installed, I only got a serious infection once. One infection in 5 years is not bad (and that was trying to install a copy of Black Ops of dubious origin, before I started messing around with such things in Virtual XP)

I would pay an antivirus program if I had no major expenses to carry out.

Furthermore:

We must take what nature gives us ... And there are very good free antivirus that does not ask for nothing in the commercial versions.

I also I have a good time using personal computers in more than 10 years I have not paid a dime for any security software: Antivirus, Firewall, scanners, file protection, backup programs, etc.

And in all that time I've had no problems, than my Free Software solution did not fix it.

Simply, I think not worth paying for an Antivirus or Security Suite.
;)

ESET offers price adjustments for additional licenses (two computers is only $10 more, three is another $10 etc.). They also offer a 25% discount if you buy two years. That said, like gwailo, I've used one license on multiple PCs with no issues.

Back