Ethernet Card problem - W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybergirl

Hello everyone -- I am trying to help one of my students.

All basic maintenance is done. I want to install avast free antivirus; however, internet connection is on and off. It has an embedded ethernet card. it seems there is activity, but I get the page-cannot-be-displayed error.
I installed new ethernet card, but I have the same result.

Help please ... Any idea?

Lately, we are seeing this problem often in our shop as a firewall problem... particularly with Comodo. What do you get in IPConfig when you go to Start->run then Type CMD? When the black screen comes up, type IPConfig.
If your IPConfig results in numbers other than the expected ones of your IP provider, it could be a firewall issue.
Unintstalling the firewall, and other security is a good first step. Then you may have to force the IP address and default gateway numbers, because once this happens there is a frustrating blockage that occures.
See if you have yellow or red flags in the Device Manager (Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager). If so, you have either driver problems or possible security stops.
Sometimes you may have to get on the phone with your IP tech support to get it back to normal.

You got me thinking ... because the system showed them as working properly after re-installation ... the problem was the cable ... :-( .. it is working now!!
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back