Ethernet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right place. We've been working on installing AT&T's Easy-To-Install DSL service on a Windows XP SP2 Dell for 8 hours now. We've called tech support twice, who ended up telling us to call Dell.
We were using Roadrunner in TX with no problems from the same machine. (Broadband) When we follow the instructions and hook up the modem, we get no light for Ethernet, green for everything else. In Device Mgr we have verified the drivers for the NIC's, reinstalled, etc and it says all is well, but no light on the modem and no Internet. We can't locate the modem, although it is plugged in and working with blinking lights and all. (Motorola 2210-02) We've tried typing in the address of the modem to access it and get "Page Not Found" error.
I told them to check the card first thing in the morning and re-set it just in case, but would device MGR show it was working if it was unseated?
Don't know what else to try and not surprisingly, AT&T DSL Tech Support doesn't either.
Thanks for any help.
Tim

Well, just one more case-n-point that the term "Easy-to-Intall DSL" is an oxymoron. ATT might qualify as king of the morons (no oxymoron there!)

in general, describing everything to allow problem resolution is not an easy taske either. But an organized approach in describing your environment and your problems can help alot (including pointing out "the obvioius" which might not be so obvioius if the same is presented otherwise.

Define your hardware environmnet (and connections)
Choose an organized approach to define your hardware and connectios: a simple what-hook--to-what text description of the acutal (or your target) environmnet. This would include hardware models, cable types, distinction between different cables (what are they? what makes them differenet) and description of connection options at cable end points.

Present an organized problem description
Again, start where the ISP cable comes into the house. Then describe the connection problem and where it occurs wrt to the connection points you stated above.

By the way, this approach can catch the subtle errors as well as the "knucklehead" errors as it ca hight-ligiht something obvioius that wasn't done.

So i'd be happy to help if you could restate your problem many things can become clearer. An important point when troubleshooting.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have no idea how to describe what you ask for. I've hooked up dozens of computers to dozens of different Internet services with no problem. There is only one way to hook up the AT&T DSL Modem and that's the way it is hooked up. Again, we get no light on the Ethernet and green lights on the DSL, Power and Internet.
I'll try to find help elsewhere in similar topic threads.
Thanks

As long as your ethernet cable from your pc to your modem is good (you can verify this by trying on another computer and/or connection you will need to run the installation cd that came with your a&t modem. There is really no way around this. I have tried to go directly to the modem from a browser prior to running the install cd and no it will not work. Just run the install and follow instructions on screen, you will need user/pw from your at&t invoice. If you called them I am surprised they did not mention the install CD.
P.S. make sure your NIC is either set to DHCP or hard code the IP on the same subnet as the at&t modem.

Motorola 2210-02; This is an ADSL Modem and your ISP connection is via the telephone line. (hum; I though Roadrunner was using a cable connection -- it is in my case.)

This is the link to the User's Guide.

The CD rom has the software to configure the modem and your ISP should give you the settings requried. However, you can use your browser to access the settings
directly using http://192.168.1.254 if your NIC card is running.

At&t dsl

We did try running the Installation CD, but do not get past locating the modem. It doesn't find it, even though the lights are green, except for the Ethernet light which is NOT on, and will not continue.
They didn't mention any username or password, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

The NIC is set to DHCP.

I only mentioned Roadrunner Cable because we were using it fine before attempting switching to AT&T DSL in another location, indicating that my NIC or Ethernet capabilities should be good.

I have found another post in another forum that suggested that TCP/IP settings sometimes become corrupt because of proprietary settings and installation configuration CD's with other ISP's. I've downloaded a program from Microsoft called Guided Help that I have copied to CD and will take over there tomorrow and see if that will help by running it on that PC. (Dell Dimension 2400 w/ Broadcom 440 10-100 Integrated Controller)

"://192.168.1.254 if your NIC card is running. " Could not post with http in the URL
We've tried this and get a "Page Not Found" error. In my Device Mgr, it says the NIC is working fine. No firewall or Anti-Virus running.

Thanks much for the responses.
Tim

click, start, run and type cmd in the box and hit enter
in the command window type ipconfig
if you get an ip address your connection is good. If you dont check the obvious, Network settings, cable etc. If necessary unistall the NIC and reinstall from device manager, if it is set to DHCP it should pick up an IP automatically. Once you have an IP from the modem you can proceed to the installation CD.. The ethernet light should light up if it does not you will not be able to anything until it does, try another cable, re-insert the connector whatever it takes.

We called Dell, who ran us through all the checks that said the NIC was working, but it isn't. They say it is corrupt. We bought another one from them as it is an OLD computer and they offered support and helped us. (Very unusual these days) It's a Belkin NIC USB adapter which we'll just have to live with for now, if it works. Would be nice to buy a new computer, but they said it was so old, none of the new, good cards would work in it.
Anyway, thanks for the help, great forum. It's amazing how the people who sell you things get out of having to know any of the troubleshooting steps and put it off on someone else.....
Which is why I always by Dell and have had great luck for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back