Ethernet v eSATA for NAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

Hi all,

Say if you wanted to use a central hdd store for your dvd library, so that pc's running vista media center could browse across the network to it to pick and watch a dvd, what would you go for, Ethernet 100/1000mbit or eSATA?

Obviously the ethernet connectivity doesn't require a pc for it to attach to, which is a bonus.

But, if connecting to a pc wasn't an issue, as its always on, would you vote for eSATA connectivity?

your opinions would be appreciated, thanks. :)

I like eSATA (obviously with a fast compatable eSATA connection)
There is no networking issues, and it's portable

eSATA for sure. It is the fastest one with direct connection to the drive - no conversion chips or software involved.

Then again, if you are connecting to a PC anyway, why use external drives at all? With more than two eSATA devices running it will be one ugly cabling mess taking up a lot of space.

Like always, there's pros/cons to most issues.

The SATA connection will then required a folder to be shared if another system is
to have access to the same data.

The Ethernet connected NAS solution will allow any system to access the data without requiring File Sharing support from another system.

Media Storage with NAS and without NAS

NAS with a good FS system not FAT32 like I see with cheaper ones selling for $39 bucks. You could build one yourself too.. Stick two 500GB HDD SATAII in there they're cheaper now. There is a company that makes this...

Put all your DVDs on this HDD that 320GB, 500GB and 750GB not a nas though
mh720.jpg

This one is like a NAS it also has media storeage features and uses wireless or wired LAN with 320GB, 500GB and 750GB

front
mx760hd.jpg

rear
mx760hdremote.jpg

tipstir, they do look nice.
But, my NAS will sit in the loft/attic and will only require an ethernet connection to the firewall/router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back