Event ID:1003 random restarts on two machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekki_Sheep

Hi,

I'm getting an event ID 1003 on two machines and one of them frequently restarts. I'm not sure if the other does, but the end user for that one may not have told me and may be putting it down to the machine being a computer and therefore untrustworthy or something.
I gather from previous threads that it's likely to be a hardware/driver related issue. I was wondering if someone could give me a URL to visit if the details are specific to an organisation (like FCC/IEEE). Failing that please tell me and I'll get around to posting the parameters and I'll send the minidumps to anyone who may be able to help me.

Cheers.

Well, if they are the conditions for a trigger are many and varied. Also, sometimes the restart occurs after a period of time when the machine has been left idle. Thing is, this machine is in a Primary (Elemetary) school that I'm subcontracted to for support and maintainance. I'm only there for six hours a week and the kind of end users, well for example my liason was selected because she's the only staffmember there who isn't, quote, "scared of PCs."
I get precious little in the way of constructive feedback.
You want more details? The machine's just short of being AT standard and is running an XP sp2 OS when it really shouldn't have to with more software than we have on our entire domain at HQ. Crazy huh? Well that's the way they want it and compromise doesn't seem to be in their dictionary.

Just an update. I'm back at the school now and I've managed to pop the classroom machine open (they often object to me taking it away as they use it to run an interactive whiteboard for lessons).
They've been complaining about a noisy fan, apparently. Sure enough, the processor fan is real noisy. It's all clogged up with filth and it's sticking often. I'll clean it up some and see how it goes. I'll be really chuffed if it's just a faulty fan causing the processor to overheat.

Oh well, no joy. Error persistant, even though I've slapped in a superior heatsink and fan (it's a lot quieter though).

Right, well since I'm not getting much of a response from what I've posted here's some more of the details. One of the many popup errors:

BCCode:100000d1 BCP1:FA3811F4 BCP2:00000002 BCP3:00000000 BCP4:FBFC1ABF
OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product:256_1

The error report from event viewer->system errors:

Source: system error
Category:[102]
Event ID:1003

Error Code: 100000d1
parameter1:fa65a2cc
parameter2:00000002
parameter3:00000000
parameter4:fc1efabf

Minidumps for ya.

There's five of them. It's the most I could manage as I've had to upload them to my Yahoo account to get a hold of them at this workstation. I wasn't about to start trying to figure out how to open the attachment manager at the primary school as there were important pressing tasks for me like:

1. Putting some paper in a 'broken' printer and clearing the queue to 'fix' it.
2. Attempting to install software only to find that the person who submitted the request had simply failed to spot the shortcut on the desktop.
3. Managing the growing feeling of dread at the increasing symptoms of what can only be one of 'those' days.

I love my work.

If my morose rambling posts tick you off please let me know and I'll be happy to stop doing it.

Right, it's been resolved.
HDD bad sectors. Attempted a reinstall of the OS and found it was failing to copy files during install. Replaced Optical drive with known good drive and burned fresh copy of OS install disk. Same problem. Diagnosis - no-brainer.
One of my collegues pulled the machine and did all the above. I've learned a valuable lesson from this: when in doubt, take the thing back to HQ and strip it.

Just to let any intrested parties know. It's all over.
Thanks all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back