Everything you need to know about the new OnePlus X

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus on Thursday officially unveiled its third smartphone at a press event in London. As expected, the OnePlus X is a mid-tier device priced at an attractive $249 sans contract. Here’s everything you need to know.

It starts with a 5-inch full HD AMOLED display (441 PPI) with Gorilla Glass 3 coating that’s powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor clocked at 2.3GHz and Adreno 330 graphics alongside 3GB of RAM. There’s only 16GB of local storage but fortunately, there’s a microSD expansion slot to fall back on. A 13-megapixel camera with f/2.2 aperture gets the job done around back while an 8-megapixel shooter handles selfies and video calls.

Other noteworthy features include 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a dual SIM card tray and a 2,525mAh battery. The handset runs the company’s own OxygenOS which is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. There’s no home button on the front of the device but you do get an alert slider on the side to switch between three different notification profiles like on the OnePlus 2.

The standard OnePlus X will set you back $249 when it arrives in the states on November 19. There is also a limited edition ceramic version of which only 10,000 are being produced (versus the standard black glass on the rear) that’ll command an extra $100. It's only being sold in Europe and India.

OnePlus is continuing its frustrating invite-only system so you’ll want to get your name in the hat ASAP should you be interested.

Thumbnail courtesy 9to5Google

Permalink to story.

This so called company, dubious at best, has ZERO support when you get a bad one, and given their track record with the OnePlus One, and the OnePlus Two, you WILL get a bad one, if you get one from start to about 3-4 months into production. You'll have to FIGHT to get a stupid invite, then HOPE they have the money to ship them from China (happened this year with the 2 version), then wait on DHL or the post office to deliver.
The time lag from your order, AFTER they get your money, to the time you get it, can be anywhere from 3 weeks to over a month. It's just not worth it. I'd rather pay a few bucks more, for a device I can walk into a store, or order on Amazon, get it now or a couple days, and have no problems shipping it back.

I'll have to pass on this one. I have the OnePlus One and love it but the move down to a 5" screen is a no go for me. It's a nice looking phone for the price though.

If I didn't already have a G4, and my old S4 as a back-up, this would probably be my go to device.

This so called company, dubious at best, has ZERO support when you get a bad one, and given their track record with the OnePlus One, and the OnePlus Two, you WILL get a bad one, if you get one from start to about 3-4 months into production. You'll have to FIGHT to get a stupid invite, then HOPE they have the money to ship them from China (happened this year with the 2 version), then wait on DHL or the post office to deliver.
The time lag from your order, AFTER they get your money, to the time you get it, can be anywhere from 3 weeks to over a month. It's just not worth it. I'd rather pay a few bucks more, for a device I can walk into a store, or order on Amazon, get it now or a couple days, and have no problems shipping it back.

I bought two; one for wifey and one for me witin two months and both arrived after 5 days.
Her OPO began to reboot randomly after 6 months and I had a very nice mail support correspondence with 2 from their support. I tried everything they suggested and after ~36 hours, they replied that they would send a new phone in exchange for her faulty one. It arrived 4 days after.

Back