EVGA's SC17 gaming laptop can be pre-ordered now for $2,700

Scorpus

Staff member

EVGA's SC17 gaming laptop that they first previewed at CES 2016 will soon be available for purchase. In fact, the company has opened up pre-orders for the machine, allowing anyone to reserve their unit for $2,699.

What does all this cash give you? Well, you'll nab yourself a 17.3-inch gaming laptop with a 4K IPS display, along with an Intel 'Skylake' Core i7-6820HK processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M discrete GPU with 8 GB of GDDR5 memory, along with 32 GB of DDR4 2666 MHz memory.

The main selling point to this laptop are the overclocking features, which allow you to boost the CPU's clock speed either within the BIOS or in Windows. EVGA essentially gives you all the overclocking functionality you'd expect from a desktop machine, except in a notebook where you're overclocking a quad-core HK-series CPU. There's even a clear CMOS button if you stuff up an overclock attempt.

The SC17 is packed with a typical array of other features, including a 256 GB NVMe PCIe SSD paired with a 1 TB hard drive; networking that includes Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.1, and Wi-Fi ac from Intel; and a collection of ports such as USB 3.1 Type-C, dual mini-DisplayPort, and a HDMI 1.4 port.

At this stage there are no upgrade pathways for the SC17, although EVGA expects to launch a G-Sync variant in the near future. For now, you can still connect G-Sync monitors to one of the DisplayPort connectors if you desire variable refresh technology.

The SC17 will begin shipping to those who pre-order in mid-April, and if you pre-order now you can get a free EVGA Torq X10 gaming mouse included with your $2,699 laptop.

Permalink to story.

A lot of cash for a laptop ... probably worth it, but with laptop's having such limited updatability and such a high rate of theft, I think I will stick with my desktop and keep the doors locked .....

A few specs are missing, but I'm guessing that the battery life will be in the 4 hour range while gaming? I'd also guess that this is more lugable than portable weighing around 8 lbs.

I'm thinking that this is still a lot of money and I was expecting an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift would have been packaged in. Looking at other laptops with a 980 GPU I'd need a solid review recommendation to consider something in this price range.

Meh, I recently got myself an Alienware 17r3, same spec except for the screen res and it's also overclocked to 4.3GHz on the CPU if I go into the BIOS and tell it to.

Difference is the Alienware was slightly cheaper and has the ability to add a graphics accelerator so it has some upgradability.

Also to note if anyone is wondering about the GPU, the 980m is still a beast. It runs the division in near full graphics at around 50-60fps depending on what you're doing, drops down to 40's if it gets mental on screen.

And the battery life, if you run the Laptop at max on battery, is about 20-30 minutes, turn the power savers back on you'll get maybe 80 minutes of play time but games will be stuck at 30fps. Don't play games though and just use it for browsing and Music, it'll last 5 hours plus.

Back