Experiencing high latency with multiple users on router

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuamays

I have Linksys wireless-G broadband router. When surfing the web, while being the only one online at home, internet pages will open almost instantaneous. The pc that i use is directly connected to the router. There is also another pc as well as 2 laptops that connect wirelessly. The internet signal strength is reduced drastically when multiple users are online at the same time. My router is keyed/pass protected and additional unauthorized users is not a problem. I have no idea what kind of signal the router is putting out. I have noticed when playing an online game my latency will go from <100ms and shoot as high as 1.2k-2k. Again ive noticed that latency is high when multiple people are online.

What can i do to troubleshoot this? Is there any way that i can get the signal to boost as more of it is utilized? thx :)

Is there any way that i can get the signal to boost as more of it is utilized?
the short answer is no.

for a start see https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic141987.html#4

Bandwidth control is difficult with our cheap routers -- the professionals have features
that are seldomly available to home users. Look to see if QoS is supported in your router; if present you *may*
be able to configure it.

You currently have
Code:
modem ---- router#1 ---wired system(A)
              |
              + - - - - WiFi (B + C systems)
With that layout, all systems will see all traffic ; system A will see but not process packets from system C.
Not all routers use Switch technology -- see if yours does. If not add a switch
Code:
modem ---- router#1 ---(switch*) --- wired system(A)
              |
              + - - - - WiFi (B + C systems)
This will reduce traffic from the router to system(A). Everything attached to the
switch* side will only see its own traffic.

If I were using WiFi, this would be my layout
Code:
modem ---- router#1 ---(switch) --- A/P - - - WiFi (B + C systems) wired system(A)
                          |
                          +---- wired system(A)
Here, ALL systems only see their own traffic

In all cases, router#1 provides the initial NAT to allow multiple systems to share the single ISP connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back