Explorer constanty crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

schizoid77

Recently, my windows explorer keeps getting errors, sending error reports to Microsoft and resetting my desktop...
Sometimes, I can't even open My Computer without my system freezing...XP Home....does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?
Explorer shows up as Not Responding in task manager...it's really starting to piss me off....I have made no changes to anything....
I've killed spyware, ad ware, I've checked power management settings, ran AV 2004. Everything is running clean.

Someone please advise....would appreciate it.

Do you know how to do a full Checkdisk in XP (similiar to the old scandisk)?

Go to a command prompt and type in "chkdsk c: /f" (without the quotes). The "/f" is for "fix". It will give you a prompt that certain system files won't allow access and do you want it to run on your next reboot. Type in the Y to acknowledge it and close the command window.

Reboot and let it go through and see if it helps. BTW, before you do this, you might want to empty your temp folder and your temporary internet files.

Let us know if this helps.

I have a problem with my explorer at home in Windows XP Pro. It randomly crashes because of ntdll.dll

My system is virus free and passes all the memory & disk tests I have thrown at it.

I haven't had any luck finding a solution, but I'd still like to know more about your problem. Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Viewer. There you can find error logs that will give you more information on your problems.

schizoid and rick, i get that problem a lot before. it has not been so bad recently. it even happens at stock cpu speeds and fresh install of xp pro sp1. i used memtest86 and my ram is good. i already used "sfc" and "chkdsk." spybot, adaware, and anti-virus do not help the situation.

rick i get that ntdll.dll problem too with my explorer.exe. this is the type of problem that i usually get.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/10/2004
Time: 12:21:45 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DA5CB9-JOHNNY
Description:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1221, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00007ec4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 38 e 6.0.28
0028: 30 30 2e 31 32 32 31 20 00.1221
0030: 69 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c in ntdll
0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 31 .dll 5.1
0040: 2e 32 36 30 30 2e 31 32 .2600.12
0048: 31 37 20 61 74 20 6f 66 17 at of
0050: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
0058: 30 37 65 63 34 0d 0a 07ec4..

and i get something like this too sometimes:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 1/9/2004
Time: 11:14:22 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DA5CB9-JOHNNY
Description:
Application popup: explorer.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77f57ec4" referenced memory at "0x00000067". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

it is annoying since it just randomly happens. i click on the start menu. explorer crashes. reading website. explorer crashes.

Well, I'll give this thread a bump since I've been having this problem since I upgraded Windows2000 to Windows XP Pro SP1 last weekend.

Most are this:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1221, faulting module ntdll.dll,.....

and this one last time:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1221, faulting module shell32.dll, version 6.0.2800.1348, fault address 0x000d2736.

It's probably a fault of some security patch we installed :(

i am having this exact same problem and all the things you people have said seem to have ne effect, i almost want to just get rid of explorer and try something new. what is a good browser to use? ....and dont tell me AOL!!!!

Originally posted by BloodRaven
i am having this exact same problem and all the things you people have said seem to have ne effect, i almost want to just get rid of explorer and try something new. what is a good browser to use? ....and dont tell me AOL!!!!
explorer.exe is different from Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) I saw this possible confusion earlier in the thead but didn't point it out.
As for your question about alternative browsers, we have some threads on it somewhere, but generally accepted ones are Opera 7.23 and Mozilla Firefox (I personally use Opera as my main browser and love it, but others really like Firefox too) or you could just use plain ol' Mozilla.

www.opera.com
www.mozilla.org

Both are skinnable, and a fair bit more customizable than IE.

i believe i had a bad sector on my hard drive. i ran my manufacturer's disk utility and it fixed my problem (i reformatted just in case). i do not had any problems like i did before since february. chkdsk and scandisk did not fix my problems from before. very strange.

Well as you guys have tried all of the usual quick fixes it looks as though you may have to resort to doing a repair re-install of XP

Fist of all, i'ts not about the Internet Explorer, but Explorer.exe (= your system).

I've the same problem since I've installed a second HHD. The problem ocours when I open Explorer.

I can try a repair, but I did just a clean install before I installed the second HDD, so it seems to me the problem is somewhere else. First I'm gone try a scandisk, who knows what it brings.

Wow! I had this issue too! I tried everything you guys suggested including re-formatting my harddrive, trying a different hard drive, swapping out the ram, re-installing XP several times, re-installing IE, removing spyware and running anti-virus. Just name it and I have tried and failed. I finally gave up and bought a new MOTHERBOARD & CPU!!! Obviously that resolved the problem. So maybe it's your motherboard?

Ha! Ok then. I've since re-installed XP and upgraded my power-supply (from a 110w to 480 Pure Power Thermaltake).
I haven't had a single instance of my windows explorer crashing. YAY!
BUT
my INTERNET explorer is now crashing!!! LOL. It's not a big deal as of yet, as I believe certain websites are corrupted or something.
For example, yesterday, whenever I visited GameSpot, IE would crash to desktop. It happened 5-6 times within an hour...and only when I tried to bring up Gamespot.com

oh well.

No problems today. I think I will write it off as a fluke...

After I did EVERYTHING, I myself thought that the issue had been resolved. Then, every few days I would encounter the problem again. Sometimes it would occur once, then my PC would resume normal processing. But then it got crazy all over again. This issue was not only occurring in IE or with a specific site, but also when I launched Windows Explorer and when I would attempt to move or copy files. Also, I made a couple of attractive coasters when I attempted to burn CDs and DVDs. VERY frustrating. Hope this doesn't happen to you...

Heres the fix - so it seems!

I had reciently caught a trojan and it took my days to remove, and did damage to my computor. I was in the predicament of not being able to download anyting to rectify the problem. Now I am sort of a novice at this but between using the various free malware removers (thank you , hyjackthis spyhunter and so on...) dr.wtsn kept giving me the message app error need to close. I clicked under details and found out the problem was mscoree.dll (xp) Microsoft had issued a fix for this which was missing from my computer and could not download because of the problem. so I tried renaming the file and it has as worked so far I am at the moment downloading the kb928365 will let you know what happens when I rename the file back to its original name. I post this now because it is at least a temporary fix and before anything else happens I want you to be able to download what you need to reslove your various problems. Good luck

Boy, do I wish that all of you who have "the same problem"- or think you do- would start your own thread! When there are six people all saying they have the same problem, then getting different suggestions, it is very confusing!

Old threads are primarily left for research and information- not to add on another "I have the same problem'"

schizoid77,(01-02-2004) I would have told you right off to check the event Viewer for Errors that corresponded to the Explorer crash:
Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.
Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Rick, (01-02-2004) I would have told you the same thing- but to find Error with ntdlr in the Description, then I would have said post it in a new thread.

BrownPaper, (01-13-2004) you got off to the right start, but should have posted the events in your own thread.
Brown Paper. (04-8-2004) Chkdsk would have been a good place to start.

BloodRaven, I would have told you to start your own thread with an exact description of YOUR problems,

superbeen ,(01-13-2004) I would have told you that you obviously don't understand the difference between Windows explorer and Internet Explorer.

young&wild(01-05-2004} Suggesting a different browser to fix a problem on an existing browser is inappropriate and I would have told you that.

Tarkus (04/06/04) I would have suggested you wait for help with the Event Errors.

robotfighter(04/04/08) your problem is NOT the same- it includes Internet Excplorer AND Windows explorer!

chrispppy 9 hours ago (06-10-09) posts n entirely different problem, caused by malware. I would have told you to follow the steps here:https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Attach the three logs and include a full system scan with the AV program.You should post an entirely different, new thread in the Virus and Malware Removal Forum,

Hodsocks, you tell everyone who is under the "same" umbrella but have different problems to reformat and reinstall!

SO> are all the problems the same? NO. Are all the suggestions appropriate for everyone the thread? NO. Should each of you have created your own individual thread at the time? YES.

chrispppy there is still timely help for you. Follow my directions and put if on s NEW thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back