Explosion !1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor

Hi techspot Vets, My NEC 16X DVDRW Blk OEM was working flawlessly until today, when I put in a rented Vcd; it exploded(heard a pop! sound)after 15 sec. Now the dvd drive couldn't read or write, the dvd case door won't open or shut completely & 80% of the Vcd disk pieces are still inside. I love this drive very much, i have been using it for 3-4 months now. I wonder what I did wrong to made the Cd to shatter?

Thanks

he dvd case door won't open or shut completely & 80% of the Vcd disk pieces are still inside.

That's possibly the reason it won't open or close - the pieces of vcd are jamming it. What you did to make that happen though is anybodies guess as far as I know. did you put it in upside down or something? I can't think of anything that would make a cd shatter like that other than heat, but even then it would take an awful lot.

I insert the disk in while the white area (shinning part) are facing down and the CD label was facing up. =/

Sounds to me like the disk was faulty. The modern drives spin that fast, there`s quite a lot of centrifugal force exerted on the disk. All it needs is a slight crack or flaw in the disk and bang. This is not the first time I`ve heard of a disk exploding in a drive.

Whether your drive will have sustained any permanent damage from this, is anyones guess.

Regards Howard :)

AH, That's happened to me once too now that you've mentioned it, as a child. I didn't consider the possibility of a damaged disk, possibly because I always check the disk before using it out of instinct and reflex these days. You're probably right Howard.

The problem is now, even without permenant damage, it can be quite difficult to get inside the drive to take the pieces out without causing damage to either the drive or the casing yourself anyway. Especially if you haven't done it before.

With a pioneer 110-D DVD re-writer costing only about £35 these days, it might be worth giving it a go, but if it's too much trouble, it's probably not worth worrying about it too much and just getting a replacement

i inspected the disk before inserting it in, it was in good condtion without any cracks.

I could hastely put the disk in and left a tiny bite of that cd edge on the DvD tray, which cause it to explode : (

ty for your input fellas, any suggestion yall wanna recommand : )

ok hey, i manage to take out the badly bruised DvD rw player and replaced it with my old Cd player.

Are there any advice or cauntion of doing that? should i disable/uninstall my old DvD driver software first?

thx

not that I know of
should be plug'n play
there's a little hole in the dvd player face get a small metal rod and push this will open the door enough to get your fingers on it to slowly open it all the way
can try to shake out the piece's hope it did not damage the drive

for of all it did not explode... it simply shattered. DVDs or CDs do not contain volitile or non-volitile explosive materials inside them... lol ;)

second of all, as long as a piece of the disc did not jam inside a gear or belt/elastic drive mechanism or scratch the laser lens (if that's even possible :confused: )

I would say just replace it, they don't cost enough to cry over it. however if you do really love this drive as much as you say (hehe), then you can probably save it.

Whatever you decide to do... good luck :)

that shatter sound so dangerously chilling. It went off like a fire cracker. *p0p!
that was my first experience... its like that CD is carrying a bomb.. trying to blow up my beautifu DvD drive . = (

anyway.. im getting a replacement soon, wish me luck

it's a conspiracy man!

The man is trying to keep us from burning discs by exploding all of our drives!

Take cover!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back