External hard drive similar to flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is in refrence to external hard drives. Is there an external hard drive out there that has similar properties to that of a flash drive. What I mean by this is can I get an external hard drive that I can drag items to it to save and just as easily access the file by opening the drive. So far I have two external hard drives and they are both similar in the fact that I can back up my files on them but I can't access them on the hard drive itself, I would actually have to recover files on my computer. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue.

Yes there are lots of external USB hard drives out there but I find even on Newegg that alot of them get crappy reviews for having bad software or not syncing correctly. They can get into very large sizes however like up to 2terabytes or more depending on what your budget is
That is a 640gb external hard drive pretty simple to use just plug it in and store your stuff. including data files for when you backing up your pc. Personally I shop at Frys Electronics they always have good deals but newegg has a big selection and sells things cheaper than Frys alot of the time

Apparently I need 5 posts to start doing links so below this post is the link to the external drive

I accidentally bought a internal SATA drive (I forgot my computer runs IDE) and just bought an external enclosure for it. It works just like a flash drive, only it's heavier and bulkier (obviously). I can carry with me to work if I want and plug it into my computer and use it just like a flash drive. It even auto-plays like one (meaning when I plug it in Windows asks if I want to open it to view/add/edit files). I thought every external drive was like this...but i've never used one so I wouldn't really know, lol.

While windows views them the same...they are absolutely different on the hardware level.
Flash drives are usually much less reliable, slower, and have less storage.

While windows views them the same...they are absolutely different on the hardware level.
Flash drives are usually much less reliable, slower, and have less storage.

Well yeah, we know the differences. But what the op was asking is if there are drives that act in the same manner as a flash drive...which I thought is what all external hard drives did...well, that is unless you load an operating system on it for some stupid reason, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back