External Hard drive/USB Port Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Christmas I received a 180GB external hard drive. When I got it, I plugged it into my computer, set it up, everything worked without a problem. At some point,not long after, I had to restart my computer for some reason and I did not eject the hard drive before doing so, when I restarted the drive was not recognized and no series of plugging it in or restarting things would make it work in the port. Eventually I discovered that plugging it into another USB port would make it work (I have one USB port and 4 USB 2.0 ports). That worked until I needed to restart again, then the second port would no longer work with the hard drive. This has happened each time I have restarted, and the last time the hard drive was safely removed before restarting. I am down to my last working USB 2.0 port, none of the others will work with my external hard drive. I now have to restart and am scared that when I do the last port will no longer work with my external and I will no longer be able to use it on my computer. Any suggestions on what I can do or theories on why this is happening?

Odd situation. Have you tried looking for a BIOS update for your motherboard or an updated driver for your USB?

You need to visit the manufacturors website and find the drivers listed for your system. If you have an OEM (HP / Compaq, Dell) visit their website and look for driver support for your model. If your system is custom built, visit the motherboard manufacturor's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back