External hard drive

Hi!

My external hard drive would not connect anymore.
I am using LaCie 1TB external hard drive and connecting it to my MacBook Pro via FireWire. I have another the same external hard drive but with the capacity of 500GB and never had problems with it.

After being very patient and trying to connect my 1TB hard drive again, it finally connected, but with a message that the files can be accessed and opened, however any changes to them would not be saved. I have my Aperture and iPhoto libraries on that drive. When I tried to open Aperture, it would not recognise that library I had always used and would not open it.

I've had problems with this hard drive before, like, it would take ages before the icon would appear on the desktop. And sometimes the drive would disconnect by itself. I've replaced the cables, but the same thing happened.

I've bought a new 1TB hard drive, different brand, formatted it to Mac and tried to copy all the files from my corrupted hard drive, but the files would not copy stating that the they were too big to be copied.

What would you recommend me doing in this situation?

I really appreciate your help and advices.
Thank you!

Your new drive needs to be formatted to exFAT. Your old drive may be formatted to NTFS, which on MAC doesn't have write support.

I'm not sure if it is still this way, but when OS X first got exFAT support, a drive formatted that way on OS X wouldn't not be read by Windows. But a Windows formatted exFAT drive could be read and wrote to on OS X.

Back