External HDD taking ages to show

I have an external HDD caddy with 2 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives in that are both formatted to NTFS. When connecting the caddy to my computer via both an e-SATA cable and a USB cable the caddy has worked fine and both HDD's have appeared on My Computer.

The problem is that for some reason one HDD appears (slightly slower than usual) and the second HDD takes about 2 minutes to appear which it has never done before. I have tried swapping the HDD's around and it seems to be the one HDD that is causing the problem but I don't know why it has just randomly started happening.

What could be causing this problem?

I have tried using the caddy with the USB cable on my laptop (where I discovered the problem) and the home computer, both resulting in this issue.
I am away from my computer for the next 10 or so days so can't test the e-SATA cable to see if there is just something wrong with the HDD's.

All help is welcome,

Cheers.

I have a thought on this one, but not knowing your exact setup I'll try. If you are connecting via usb and have a hub or many usb devices connected to that hub, try connecting directly to a usb port - this might make the detection time faster. Also, if you are connecting to a usb3.0 port & the device is only usb2.0 this can create a delay as well. As for eSATA, I haven't had devices fuss when connecting that way - it usually just works.

Post what the device is, your saying hdd caddy, but is it an off the shelf enclosure or something custom?! It might, might, be an issue with the external enclosure itself. That being said try going into it's web interface or config software & see if there is an issue with it - perhaps there is a log or alert area to get further info. Either way, post back what the device is, specs on your system, specifically the motherboard if custom or make/model if retail pc.

Hope this helps, take care!

I am using this enclosure:

http://intrl.startech.com/HDD/Enclo...ive-Enclosure-with-Raid-Controller~S352U2RERC

And 2x2TB of these hard drives in the enclosure:

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=120

Here is the CPU-Z screenshot for my motherboard:

Don't have the enclosure software with me so can't check it until I get back to my computer. As with the e-SATA, like I said it worked fine for me. It was just the USB connection I have noticed the problem with recently.

The enclosure is the only USB device I have connected.

Can't insert my screenshot for some reason so I have an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop. On the computer that I had no problems with I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI

Ok, I have read about this enclosure on the website you provided. I have read the .pdf manual. It really looks like it might be a config issues w/ the enclosure. When you get access to the laptop running the software for the enclosure, look over the info in the software, make sure everything is running ok - should not have errors. Also post screenshots as to how you have it currently configured. This maybe an issue with the usb controller with the enclosure itself, since eSATA works ok. Post back and I'll reply when you do, have a good day!

Here is the screenshots of my external HDD configuration:external_hdd_config.jpg

And here is the event log that after both HDD's have successfully mounted:external_hdd_event_log.jpg

Got pack to my PC with the e-SATA connection and the HDD works fine with both e-SATA and USB! So I figure there is an issue with my laptop and the External HDD.

Very good. glad it works correctly w/ your pc. But now it concerns me a bit that it doesn't with your laptop... hummmm...

Back