External SATA 2 disk solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, looking to add external SATA disk to be used by mine and my wife's laptops which each support the Expresscard interface. I am looking at the SIIG SC-SAE512-S1 SATA II ExpressCard 54 and attaching to it the ICY DOCK MB559 Series MB559US-1S 3.5" eSATA + USB2.0 combo External Enclosure with a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive installed. Buying all three items and from specs think all is compatible and all will support the SATA 2 speeds but wondering what others think. Hate to order then find out things like SIIG card uses SATA connector not eSATA as info I read says and ICY Dock uses eSATA and cable from ICY Dock is eSATA to SATA not eSATA to eSATA or for some reason one component doesn't support SATA 2 such as ICY Dock is SATA 2 outside but SATA only inside where WD disk would attach. Thanks for any advice and welcome to better combinations if know of issues with any of this stuff. Thanks

There isn't a whole lot of experience out there yet on the SATA externals, but we have seen no problems in our shop.

I have a question though regarding my eSATA hard drive....

I have a Vantec NexStar 3 that has both a USB and an eSATA connection, and the USB connection works just fine. However, the computer does not recognize that I have connected the drive when I use only the eSATA connecting cable, and when I have the eSATA cable AND the USB cable in at the same time, the computer cannot see the hard drive either...but, with both connected, if I unplug the eSATA connection, leaving the USB connection in, the computer instantly recognizes the drive. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back