FAA strongly advises against using Galaxy Note 7 on airplanes

Scorpus

Staff member

The Galaxy Note 7 has been an utter disaster for Samsung. First the issues with exploding batteries, then the global recall, and now a warning from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) advising everyone not to use their Galaxy Note 7s on board any aircraft.

The FAA isn't issuing a strict ban on Galaxy Note 7 devices, however the powerful authority now "strongly advises passengers not to turn on or charge these devices on board aircraft". The warning extends to checked baggage as well, with the FAA advising travelers not to pack any Note 7s into their luggage.

Following this official warning, there is a chance that some US airlines will ban or at least restrict the usage of Galaxy Note 7s on board their aircraft. However, it will be difficult for airlines to distinguish the difference between a potentially dangerous Galaxy Note 7, and a device that has been replaced by Samsung under the recall policy.

According to Gizmodo, the FAA may choose to update their statement as more information becomes available. There is a possibility that the FAA will upgrade their strong warning to a strict ban on Galaxy Note 7s, which will be a huge blow to Samsung, however with the recall currently underway the FAA may not resort to such a significant call.

Permalink to story.

Samsung - paving the way to ban 'smartphone' use on planes. Oh no, what will people do? It's the 80's all over again! ;p

As a Note Edge owner, I can say I'm unimpressed with Samsung "quality" and polices and will not be buying another one of their devices. When I received my phone, the charging back cover (which I had to pay extra for) didn't work due to a problem with the phone itself. The said I had to pay to have it shipped, wait how ever many weeks it would take to fix and then there was no guarantee it would actually get fixed. This after spending $800 and having it less than a week.

Google on the other hand, ships your new device to you BEFORE you ship in your defective device. I bought 2 Nexus 10s and both had battery issues. I barely remember because it was handled so quickly and easily.

That said, this does seem a little drastic as they've already recalled the device. Someone needs to thoroughly test the "new" devices for everything again...because you can't trust Samsung (or any company these days) to do the right thing, they only do the profitable things.

Well, you got to admit, when Samsung does something, they do it right! Perhaps their next move should be to produce a phone without any kind of battery and package it in a block of concrete just to shield it per FAA requirements .....

Back