Facebook is building a camera-equipped set-top box for your TV

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Facebook's push to bring even more cameras into the home in the wake of its recent privacy and security scandals may seem brazen but until consumers draw a line in the sand, nothing is going to change.

Facebook is developing a camera-equipped device under the codename Ripley that’s part webcam, part set-top box.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Cheddar that the device will sit atop a television and use the set as its display. Packing the same core technology as Facebook’s Portal and Portal+ video calling devices, Ripley will enable video calling capabilities and deliver entertainment services to the living room.

The functionality could allow Facebook to compete against streaming hardware providers like Apple, Roku and Amazon while simultaneously catering to smart speaker / video calling markets.

One person familiar with the project said Facebook plans to announce Ripley next spring although because the device is still in development, that timeline could change. It’s also likely that the device will get a new name that’s more in line with its intended use.

While some would interpret Facebook’s recent privacy- and security-related issues as a sign to slow down or regroup, Facebook is forging ahead. The social network is demonstrating that it’s not willing to surrender in the face of adversity and until user growth stalls or revenue drops off, it’s hard to fault the strategy.

Permalink to story.

Next up for the consumer to buy Christmas 2019, government mandated 2021:
matrix-baby.jpg

The whole family can be monitored, plus sell power to the grid!

Who does Facepuke think people will PAY for anything they make? Their entire business model is based around consumer ignorance and cheapness: surrender your privacy and get a free sub-standard messaging experience and be targeted for marketing.

If Facebook cannot keep Russians out of their advertising, how successful do you think they will be at keeping hackers (Russian or other) out of your TV in your living room?
Russians are not the problem. They've got an economy thats smaller than Texas. The problem is CNN and all the liberal pubes who suck up everything they vomit.

When I heard that Facebook was released something new, I really feel scare of people who will use it.
It completely ended up with privacy.

Not enough of a big step. I'm not buying anything until they release their toilet cam.

Not enough of a big step. I'm not buying anything until they release their toilet cam.

People already do this - selfies in bathroom mirrors. I mention I can almost hear a toilet flush from seeing their pic. ;)

Russians are not the problem. They've got an economy thats smaller than Texas. The problem is CNN and all the liberal pubes who suck up everything they vomit.

Politics is not a team sport. We are a historically a two party nation. Nowhere in political discourse is violence intended. "liberal pubes" is impolite and unacceptable discourse.

Back