'Fallout 4' wins Game of the Year at 19th annual DICE Awards

Shawn Knight

Staff member

To the surprise of virtually nobody, Fallout 4 took home top honors as Game of the Year at the 19th annual D.I.C.E. Awards last night. Bethesda's hit action role-playing game joined Ori and the Blind Forest, Rocket League and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as winners of at least three awards.

Other notable winners include Star Wars Battlefront (Action Game of the Year), Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Adventure Game of the Year), Mortal Kombat X (Fighting Game of the Year), Super Mario Maker (Family Game of the Year) and Fallout Shelter (Mobile Game of the Year).

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima became the 21st person to be inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) Hall of Fame while the late Satoru Iwata posthumously became the fifth recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Below is the complete list of winners:

• Game of the Year: Fallout 4
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Fallout 4
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Action Game of the Year: Star Wars Battlefront
  • Adventure Game of the Year: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Family Game of the Year: Super Mario Maker
  • Fighting Game of the Year: Mortal Kombat X
  • Racing Game of the Year: Forza Motorsport 6
  • Role-Playing / Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: Fallout 4
  • Sports Game of the Year: Rocket League
  • Strategy / Simulation Game of the Year: Heroes of the Storm
  • D.I.C.E. Sprite Award: Rocket League
  • Handheld Game of the Year: Helldivers
  • Mobile Game of the Year: Fallout Shelter
  • Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Rocket League
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Outstanding Achievement in Character: Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Star Wars Battlefront
  • Outstanding Achievement in Story: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Outstanding Technical Achievement: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Permalink to story.

Wtf is DICE awards? it's like virtual nobody giving out awars? why? why would we care?

As much as I love fallout 4, The Witcher 3 is the better game. W3 my have one more awards, but it should have taken home GOTY.

Wtf is DICE awards? it's like virtual nobody giving out awars? why? why would we care?

Do 10 seconds of research and you'll find it out it's a big deal in the gaming industry. And why is it here? This is a PC oriented website reporting on PC related topics.

Which leads to the next question. If you knew that then why are YOU here asking these kinds of questions.

The problem I have with award shows is that many of them don't explain why said game won "Game of the Year". It doesn't really matter if the panel is made up of industry experts if they aren't transparent with their decisions.

As much as I love fallout 4, The Witcher 3 is the better game. W3 my have one more awards, but it should have taken home GOTY.
That's what I've been saying. As much as I do enjoy Fallout 4, The Witcher 3's story and development from a technical perspective (performance, visuals, sounds, etc) really outshine Fallout 4.

How.. just how.. ?? I gave the game away after the first 10 hrs of play.. it was absolutely horrid. it was worse graphically then the the original 'new' series with home made mods. it's was worse story wise.. and became a cliché of it's self very fast..

Lol dice awards...... God there is so many fake goty awards now in days that I just consider Ign or Joystick the official award. Geez back when Kotor and Mass Effect 2, they closed on all the official Goty awards back when they meant something

Since 1996, the D.I.C.E. Awards have recognized outstanding games, individuals and development teams that push the boundaries of technology, creativity and artistic expression in the worldwide interactive entertainment industry. Titles were played and evaluated by members of the Academy’s Peer Panels. The panels are comprised of the game industry’s most experienced and talented professionals.

No wonder modern games mostly suck. Those "experienced and talented professionals" know nothing about good games. Or were bribed.

Lol dice awards...... God there is so many fake goty awards now in days that I just consider Ign or Joystick the official award. Geez back when Kotor and Mass Effect 2, they closed on all the official Goty awards back when they meant something

They figured out that the marketing with a million and one awards pushes more sales volume.

Real gamers know good games from bad. Non-gamers (most people) love to see a product with a bunch of endorsements on it.

Winner of more than 200 awards for development and gameplay.
5 Game of the Year awards.
10/10 - IGN
Brilliant! - New York Times
9.5 - Game Informer
Thrilling and provocative - New York Post
9.2 - Metacritic
5... out of 5 - Adam Sessler

= $$$$$$$$$$

How.. just how.. ?? I gave the game away after the first 10 hrs of play.. it was absolutely horrid. it was worse graphically then the the original 'new' series with home made mods. it's was worse story wise.. and became a cliché of it's self very fast..
Normally I would shout "troll!" but I have to agree with you, I've tried at least 6 times to get into this game and even tried modding the crap out of it to make it more pretty but nope its just boring

Back