Fallout 76 players built a tool to help decrypt nuke launch codes

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Cutting corners: Fallout 76 has only been out for two days and players have already figured out how to cheat aspects of the endgame. Two days seems like not enough time for anybody to even get to a level powerful enough to fight through endgame enemies, but that has not stopped them from developing a brute-force method for decrypting nuke codes.

As you probably know from our previous coverage of Fallout 76, players can launch nukes that not only destroy the areas they strike but also create irradiated zones that spawn powerful beasts with just as powerful loot. The game mechanic, by Bethesda’s own words, was meant as an endgame feature to allow already leveled up players to get more powerful gear.

The process of launching a nuke is no simple task and is performed in several steps. First of all, each one has a launch code that is broken up into eight segments. Players can get these fragments of code by fighting and defeating high-level ghouls. Then they need to get a launch keycard. These are obtained by shooting down Enclave drop ships. Finally, they have to decipher the code.

According to Kotaku, the launch codes are encrypted using a keyword cipher. The keyword is changed every week and is revealed letter by letter throughout the week presumably to control the launching of nukes.

Impatient players have given the finger to this system of reveal by creating NukaCrypt — a website that will decipher the launch codes faster than if you were to simply apply guesswork. It’s pretty smart really, and the designers gave the site a Pip-Boy like aesthetic, which is a nice touch.

Is this a cheat that will ruin Fallout 76? Probably not. It is just meant to take the tedium out of what is otherwise a relatively simple, yet mundane and tiresomely repetitive puzzle. Players still have to fight very powerful bosses to get at the loot.

Will Bethesda change the launch process to foul up this ad hock utility? That remains to be seen. Either the developers will applaud the players for their creativity, letting them at least use NukaCrypt for a while, or they could throw a wrench into the scheme after the very first week by changing the way launch codes are given out.

Actually, I would not be surprised to see Bethesda run with it and make it a little side game of cat and mouse they can play with the players outside of the game world. Every couple of weeks they could come up with another method for players to figure out how to bypass.

Permalink to story.

*Of course* Bethesda will have to neuter this hack. Otherwise you'll get endgame loot being introduced at much greater rates than the game was balanced around. Frankly the whole nuking thing is dumb - what country would give site commanders the ability to target their own territory? It should have been automated bomber attacks launched from an airfield in DC, which could have been a springboard to an eventual Capitol Wasteland expansion.

This whole game is a disgrace to Fallout franchise. It was an failed experiment on cash grab. Lack of NPCs, disjointed melle, very outdated graphics, empty world with little to do and even what is there to do is mind numbingly generic fetch, massive stutters in consoles (tried on my friends Xbox One. Barely 15-20 fps in crowded areas. Choppiness is very visible and jarring) and its even worseon PS 4 where it outright freezes at times and as its a multiplayer game it leads to disconnect or death of your character if in fight, focus on buildings who disappear as soon as you log out (!)... List goes on. Fallout franchise is now out of my wishlist. Lets see if they screw up the Elder Scroll series too.

Last edited:
This whole game is a disgrace to Fallout franchise. It was an failed experiment on cash grab. Lack of NPCs, disjointed melle, very outdated graphics, empty world with little to do and even what is there to do is mind numbingly generic fetch, massive stutters in consoles (tried on my friends Xbox One. Barely 15-20 fps in crowded areas. Choppiness is very visible and jarring) and its even worseon PS 4 where it outright freezes at times and as its a multiplayer game it leads to disconnect or death of your character if in fight, focus on buildings who disappear as soon as you log out (!)... List goes on. Fallout franchise is now out of my wishlist. Lets see if they screw up the Elder Scroll series too.
Didn't Elder Scrolls have online version which was pretty much doa?

Didn't Elder Scrolls have online version which was pretty much doa?

ESO was horrible at launch but after a gazzilion updates its now one of the best mmos in the market. But ESO is not managed by Bethesda but by Zenimax Online Studios (ZOS) which is a completely different team/studio.

Terrible game. Do not buy! Wasted $60. Fallout franchise is dead IMO! Bethesda's worst game to date!

Terrible game. Do not buy! Wasted $60. Fallout franchise is dead IMO! Bethesda's worst game to date!
Bethesda games always come out with critical, often showstopping bugs. I'd NEVER recommend playing them within the first few months. Wait at least 3-6 months and let them fix it a bit.

Bethesda games always come out with critical, often showstopping bugs. I'd NEVER recommend playing them within the first few months. Wait at least 3-6 months and let them fix it a bit.
The same could be said of all new games. Unfortunately Bethesda often wait for the modders to implement bug fixes, yet they have blocked new mods on this game for the first year.
So some of the modders go looking for other ways to manipulate the game.
Bethesda - just open the gates to modders now. They'll fix the bugs and create interest in a game that is already sagging so bad.

Back