Fallout: New Vegas is free on the Epic Games Store until June 1

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Ask 10 different gamers what they think about the Bethesda Fallout series (that would exclude FO and FO2), and you'll get 10 different answers, both positive and negative. However, most will agree that Fallout: New Vegas was the best of the three first-person shooters – we shall continue to pretend Fallout 76 does not exist.

Fans often cite Fallout: New Vegas as the best in the franchise, with many attributing the success to Obsidian Entertainment's return to development duties. If you haven't played New Vegas, you now have no excuse because Epic has rotated it into its free game catalog. The Ultimate Edition usually sells for $20, but from now until June 1 at 10 am EDT you can grab it for the same as a five-finger discount.

Fallout: New Vegas is hard to criticize. From its roleplaying elements to its classic Western soundtrack, Obsidian managed to nail it on all fronts, getting right everything Bethesda got wrong in Fallout 3.

Unlike FO3 and FO4, which Bethesda set in its own stomping grounds of the American Northeast, Obsidian set New Vegas in the southern Nevada and central California region, with a ruined Las Vegas being the primary focal point. The setting was a nice aesthetic change and appealed to those from the western US familiar with the locales.

The dialog felt more meaningful in New Vegas, and interactions with factions were also significant. Unlike Fallout 3, ticking off or helping the various gangs has tangible consequences. Bethesda tried to copy this in FO4, but it felt forced.

For example, early in FO4, Bethesda deliberately steers players into an encounter with the Minutemen faction. The situation is so dire that the player feels compelled to help them – the entire goal being to introduce Bethesda's faction-building gameplay mechanic.

Regardless of your feeling toward the franchise, Fallout: New Vegas for free is a no-brainer. Even those who played it on the PS3 or XB360 back in the day might want to take advantage of Epic's offering. The game is old enough that a potato could run the title on max settings without breaking a sweat. Plus, after 13 years, a replay will feel like a whole new game.

Permalink to story.

Don't understand why you have to tear down other games to praise FNV. I play both FO3 and FNV still today and prefer FO3. FNV is free so sure grab it now, but anyone that enjoys FNV will probably also enjoy FO3 and it has many positives that for me put it over FNV.

Don't understand why you have to tear down other games to praise FNV. I play both FO3 and FNV still today and prefer FO3. FNV is free so sure grab it now, but anyone that enjoys FNV will probably also enjoy FO3 and it has many positives that for me put it over FNV.
FO3 has a weak narrative but has plenty of enjoyable game mechanics. People praise New Vegas because it was a quarky experience that had you laughing in pain one moment and running in terror in the other. I still play each game atleast once a year, I love both of them. The thing is, FNV just feels like what a fallout game should be. It's not that FO3 is bad, I think you'll be hard pressed t9 f8nd any fan of the series t9 call FO3 a bad game. It's that fallout new Vegas made us laugh, cry, sh8t ourselves while improving on the gameplay mechanics that make FO3 such a wonderful game

I love how the Epic store has been reduced to nothing more than a free game dispenser.

I also love how they had never had a year without hundreds os millions of dollars in losses, and they keep pushing back the date in which they predict to be profitable. At first it was 2023, then it was 2025, now it's 2027, and with no sign of the store improving in popularity it will likely be pushed back again.

One of the few cases where an anti-competitive garbage company gets the retribution they deserve.

I love how the Epic store has been reduced to nothing more than a free game dispenser.

I also love how they had never had a year without hundreds os millions of dollars in losses, and they keep pushing back the date in which they predict to be profitable. At first it was 2023, then it was 2025, now it's 2027, and with no sign of the store improving in popularity it will likely be pushed back again.

One of the few cases where an anti-competitive garbage company gets the retribution they deserve.
While I like Steam but truth be told I am using Epic more and more. Out of my last 7 purchases this year, I got 4 from Epic, 1 from GoG and 2 from Steam (1 was a bundle).
Reason : Lower prices.

While I like Steam but truth be told I am using Epic more and more. Out of my last 7 purchases this year, I got 4 from Epic, 1 from GoG and 2 from Steam (1 was a bundle).
You're the exception. Documents from the Apple vs Epic lawsuit have shown that only 7% of the Epic store users have made an actual purchase on the platform. That was in 2021, but even if we imagine (with no basis) that this number has doubled now, that would still be a disastrous result.

You're the exception. Documents from the Apple vs Epic lawsuit have shown that only 7% of the Epic store users have made an actual purchase on the platform. That was in 2021, but even if we imagine (with no basis) that this number has doubled now, that would still be a disastrous result.
My advice, NEVER be loyal to any company be it Steam or Epic. Be loyal to self and buy wherever price is lowest. I purchase from Epic since price is lower in several products. Why should I be bothered about marketshare percent?

Epic lost me when they started using Fortnite money to purchase exclusive access to AAA titles for their store. If Epic is fighting walled gardens and is pro-consumer, why are they simultaneously restricting consumer options?

But I'm happy to grab free or heavily discounted games when possible.

My advice, NEVER be loyal to any company be it Steam or Epic. Be loyal to self and buy wherever price is lowest. I purchase from Epic since price is lower in several products. Why should I be bothered about marketshare percent?
It has nothing whatsoever to do with "loyalty". Epic is an anti-competitive trash company that, instead of competing with Steam by having better prices/features while selling the same games (which would benefit the consumer), decided to use exclusivity contracts as a tool to avoid competing with Steam altogether, paying devs to keep games exclusively on their platform (the direct opposite of competition, which does not benefit consumers).
So no, I will not reward garbage companies that push anti-competitive practices only because their prices are marginally smaller during sale events. That is short-sighted and hurts me (and all consumers) in the future, when they go on to implement even more anti-competitive practices.
I don't buy on Steam because I'm "loyal", I buy there because today it's the best platform for consumers by a wide margin. And also on GOG, for example, which is more niche also very positive for the consumer.

It's FREE. Take it or leave it. Awesome game. No further discussion needed, period.

Can everyone just take a break from looking for reasons to be outraged, please? 🙄

The main reason I don't use Epic very much is that it seems difficult to game with people who bought the same game from Steam. Most of my library is with Steam and most of my friends use Steam, so we buy from Steam. If we could easily game together, regardless of where you buy, then I'd go for lowest price as well.

only thing I bought on epic is goat sim 3, id use it more if it showed my as much data about my games as steam would, I love seeing the hours played and showing it to my friends, like self accomplishment

Back