Family faked video showing six-year-old boy's Warzone ban to go viral

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Some people will do anything to go viral. A family has admitted it faked a video showing their six-year-old son being banned from Call of Duty: Warzone so the clip would get massive media attention, all part of a competition to get him into an esports organization.

As reported by PC Gamer, last week saw young streamer RowdyRogan apparently banned from Warzone, a move many assumed was due to his young age—CoD has an age rating of 18. It led to widespread outcry, a 'free Rogan' hashtag, and a lot of anger directed at Activision.

There are a few suspect moments in the video, though. Not only is there a break in the stream before the ban and some audio missing during the moment itself, but the dad's acting is far from convincing.

It's now been revealed that the whole thing was fake; the "Account permanently banned" message was edited over a server disconnection message. It was all a stunt, part of the annual FaZe5 competition in which the final five entrants win a place within esports organization FaZe.

Rogan, who had reached the final 20 competitors, was faced with the challenge of making content that goes viral. In the video (below) revealing the fakery, his mother explains what they need to do, and Rogan suggests getting banned would be an effective way of drawing attention.

"This was a fun thing for Rogan to do, it was a whole family fun process, it wasn't serious," said Rogan's mother. Rogan's dad, meanwhile, chipped in with, "I know there are some people that aren't going to be happy when they find out this was a stunt for the FaZe5 challenge."

"I also don't want to bring any more negativity towards them, Activision has done nothing wrong," he adds.

It seems FaZe isn't too thrilled with the video. "This particular challenge was to create content that goes viral," CEO Lee Trink told PC Gamer. "What finalists choose to do with these tasks and how they approach each challenge is also being assessed, not just the quantitative results. A broad challenge is more emblematic of what their experience will be like in FaZe since a key goal of ours is to support our talent's vision of their individual career. The judging process is not mathematical. It's far more qualitative than quantitative. Our methodology and process is proprietary and not something we share."

Whatever the reasons behind the stunt, none of this shines a good light on the family. Ultimately, though, their mission to create a viral video succeeded, but it may come at a high cost.

Permalink to story.

So why is a 6 year old playing CoD which is aimed at mature audiences?
at least it is not only me who thought it was freaking weird to see a 6yr old playing CoD...
I was surprised to see families are living their lives like that, dad and the 6yr old playing CoD next to each other... wow...

This family has screwed itself beyond belief. Can you imagine what will happen to them when Activision sues them for libel? They did actual damage to Activision's reputation with this and they've left themselves wide open for a massive lawsuit. To make things even worse, it's clear that the judges for the competition are expressing a clear distaste for what they've done.

They could theoretically lose everything they have because of this and I wouldn't feel too bad for them because the adults in the family should have known better. Making a video based on a lie is extremely dangerous because you're on the hook for it if it goes viral and the legal fallout could leave you broke and homeless.

I hope for the kid's sake that his parents haven't shot to hell what looked like a bright future for him.

This family has screwed itself beyond belief. Can you imagine what will happen to them when Activision sues them for libel? They did actual damage to Activision's reputation with this and they've left themselves wide open for a massive lawsuit. To make things even worse, it's clear that the judges for the competition are expressing a clear distaste for what they've done.

They could theoretically lose everything they have because of this and I wouldn't feel too bad for them because the adults in the family should have known better. Making a video based on a lie is extremely dangerous because you're on the hook for it if it goes viral and the legal fallout could leave you broke and homeless.

I hope for the kid's sake that his parents haven't shot to hell what looked like a bright future for him.
It's okay, people will start a gofundme to defend the family from being sued, all because they "made a viral video" or "for getting banned". And those people can waste their money lol

+1 and more so in America which is a very law suit friendly country not smart on the parents part.

Activision would be crazy to sue, best just to remind media outlets it was all fake, let them write some articles like this and then just let the whole thing fade quietly.

The problem isn't that the kid can't tell fiction from reality, it's that the online community is very toxic and not really a proper place for a child.
Yes, it's very important we shelter our children from anything unwholesome until they turn 18.

That way once they realize the world doesn't in any way resemble the bubble they've been raised in it'll be too late for them to blame us.

Yes, it's very important we shelter our children from anything unwholesome until they turn 18.

That way once they realize the world doesn't in any way resemble the bubble they've been raised in it'll be too late for them to blame us.
He's 6 for crying out loud. He has plenty of time to learn how to become toxic and insult your and my mother online, he doesn't need to learn about it right now.

I don't think your parents encouraged you to do such things at 6 and you prolly turned out alright, right?

Last edited:
Back