Fan Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I recently noticed that the area around my graphics card was getting pretty hot, so I thought about how to fix this problem. Well I came up with the idea of putting one of my old 92mm Logisys fans in the back of my computer where the card slots are. To explain this further so everyone gets the picture, I took the fan and put it OUTSIDE of my computer. I then ran the cords from the fan through one of the openings at the back of my computer where a fan used to be. I took off some of the card slot covers that were not being used so the hot air is sucked out of the computer. I then connected the cables, and secured the fan with some zip ties to some cables above the fan outside of my computer.

**- My main concern is, is this safe, and will this do any harm to my computer I am unaware of? Everything looks very safe and secure to me, the only danger is that if you were to stick your finger between the fan and the computer.
- By the way, the fan makes a very significant temperature change where the hot area was, and it also keeps my entire computer cooler as well. :)

Here is a picture of the fan and the area around it:
- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u318/PCRYJ/P1010189.jpg

I can't see how it could cause harm, other than bodily harm if you got your hand in it :). Wouldn't it do the same thing to put the fan inside towards the front of the case blowing over the card(s) and out the pci slot covers?

I already have a 120mm fan in the front of the case, blowing on the Harddrives. As a result, most of the cool air is lost by the time it gets to the graphics card. Also, the graphics card's "exhaust" vent is out in the back of the case, and inside the case at the bottom of the card. This is perfect because the fan I just put in sucks out all of the hot air from the graphics card.

Well the open fan blade problem doesn't really pose that much of a threat, because I have it zip-tied to wires so the fan is fairly stationary. Any, it's at the back of my computer so nobody and nothing,(except maybe for some unlucky bugs), will get in the way of the blades.

The blades are made from plastic and the motor has near to no torque, stick your finger in and you will see what i mean. I have ended up with my hand in one of those fans a few times and came out ok, don't get me wrong it does hurt but it is not going to do damage to you.

On the other hand if the cables on the back of your PC are touching the fan you will have problems as over time the fan will tear away the protective covering on the fan, but you will hear if the fan is hitting the cables.

Have you tried moding your case a little, this crappy drawing is possibly the bast way to cool your case. The circles are fans on the side of the case and for the fan on the top of the case you need to get the largest fan you can find.

Well, one problem is that I can't have an exhaust fan on the top of the case because of the USB and microphone ports there, and I use those ports quite frequently. As for other modifications, I don't want to be drilling holes in my case.
I have a fan in the front blowing in, and an exhaust fan in the back top, along with the exhaust fan I put in the back bottom.

According to the program SpeedFan,

-Temp1: 90F
-Temp2: 90F
-Temp3: -198F?!
-Core0: 109F
-Core1: 109F

- I don't know if these readings are accurate or not. If someone can recommend me an accurate temperature reading program that would be great!

- This is the case I have:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&sa=N

Those temps sound fine. Nice case - thanks for picture.

Two thoughts, I came close to blowing a PSU due to inadequate circulation - I had an exhaust fan which was reversing flow in the PSU as there wasn't enough incoming outside air. Second is sharp edge on slot opening might be a point of wear on the wiring you ran back into the case.

Concerning the fan opening which the fan wires run through, it doesn't have a sharp edge so I don't have to worry about that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back