Fast Ethernet Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Can you tell me just what the SIS 900 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter does and is it onboard the mobo or is it like a card setup idea? When would you have it disabled or enabled? If it was disabled would it make a difference when trying to connect to the internet using dial up connection?
Ray

Ethernet adapters are network cards, basically. It allows you to connect to a network or high speed Internet. In your case, it is probably integrated onto your board, meaning it is not a seperate card.

I would have it enabled if I use it or not. It does not harm your computer to leave it enabled.

And no, it will not make a difference to disable it unless you are on DSL or a network.

Chances are if you don't know what it even is, you probably don't use it. But if you don't, it doesn't matter anyway. I'd just leave it enabled.

Fast ethernet ...it could also be something to do with the gigabit ethernet.... Rick is right, If you are not in LAN or ADSL/DSL you won't need it

"Fast Ethernet" is 10Mbits IIRC. Ironic, really, considering you can get 10Gbit adapaters now. The SiS 900 family are mainly onboard 10/100 adapters. Disabling them in the BIOS will free an IRQ, but its probably not worth it, as it could cause hassle if you want to use it again.

Plain ethernet is 10 Mbit/s, fast is 100Mbit/s, gigabit is 1000Mbit/s (theoretical and prettyfied round numbers).

this is on my motherboard as well, i'm curious as to how to setup a cable connection on it, do i need to hook the modem into the usb 2.0 port or what?

ahh, the ethernet port was hidden behind the panel, that covers the all the ports, i just had to twist the little piece of metal that was covering it, popped right out. Feel like an *****.

SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

I have a question regarding my network adapter card. I can log on to the internet but cannot display any pages. Also, the connection keeps interrupting. The computer is also linked via a router to two other computers. I have tried Microsoft tech support, modem driver, etc. but I think I have a conflict with this network card. The TCP/IP Protocol is fine and I can ping all the other computers. When I go to Event Viewer, I'm getting an error under DHCP telling me my "computer has lost the lease to its IP address ---.---.-.--- as the Network Card with network address" etc. OR I have a warning saying my "computer was not able to renew its address from the network from the DHCP server for the network card with address etc. The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will try and obtain an address..." I think not being able to display any pages and the interrupt is associated to this card. Am I going crazy? How do I fix this problem????!!!!

I would disable dhcp in router and make all ip address's static
this will keep you alive till your isp changes you dsn then you will need to find the new one and reset you nics.
my dsl provider resets every 6 months no hassle at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back