Faster supreme commander on sr1620nx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay123

I have a sr1620nx computer which has 3400+, 1.99 ghz, and 1.43gb or RAM( I upgraded Ram)

Supreme commander for recommended gameplay needs 3.00ghz, 1.00gb or RAM and 256mb of virtual memory.

Is getting more RAM going to help?

I have an integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200, is this good enough?

I know I dont have the virtual memory but in properties of my computer/advanced/performance/advance/virtual memory you can do the thing with the paging file. Will this along get me the virtual memory I need?

Supreme Commander heavily taxes the CPU and GPU of any system. For you, the main thing you need is a decent video card (which will need a new power supply) and more RAM, but with that budget-level CPU, the game will slowdown to a crawl most of the time.

Provide a budget if you want any recommendations and please fill out your profile with your system specs and your location.

what do you mean by budget level cpu? can you get a better cpu for a computer without getting another computer?

Your entire system uses old hardware, so unless you can find an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on eBay or craigslist (Socket 939, not the newer Socket AM2), you're outta luck. :(

if the game will still be at a crawl then what improvement will getting more ram and a better graphics card do? And how do you get a new power supply to a graphics card?

Supreme Commander canes my pc when the numbers are high, this game is a monster. I recommand all of the above and some. The more cpu cores the better.

The power supply you will need, but check carefully, if your thinking of a new graphics card read up on what the recommanded wattage is. My graphics card is getting to be old hat, but still gives me a respectable fps on most things and now they are at bargin price they are a great buy.

I have 3 gig in my machine and SC chomps its way though it not to mention SC forged alliance(I thought they couldn't make a game so hungry for everything but I was woefully proven wrong)

If you can try going for 2 or more cpu cores, your need it.

How many Cpu's can I put in my computer? Some of the athlon 64 X2 3800+ that rage suggested say that they have 2.0 ghz and my processor is 1.99 ghz. so is there any benefit to replacing the one I have with the athlon? or if I can put both in will that increase the ghz? (I am assuming that rage suggested the athalon because it has more ghz and ghz is the entire point of getting the athlon processor, but correct me if I am wrong)

Some of the processors I've looked at on E-bay say that they are 2.00ghz... so if I replace my 3400+ with one that has the same ghz but it has 3800+ will that be better? Or if I can use them both will that work and the ghz will add up, and does it work that way?

There is one processor I have found (its the one rage said) and it say it has 2.4ghz. Will that make Sc with FA go faster?

Make sure the CPU you found is a Socket 939 CPU, not an AM2 one. Also, the point of getting a new CPU is not the increase in frequency, but because the new one is a dual-core one compared to your current single-core CPU, and for Supreme Commander, the more cores the better.

And no, you can only use one CPU in your current board and the frequency does not add up, since a dual-core CPU is basically made up of two individual CPUs in the same "package" if you will, so each CPU works independently. Unfortunately, since your system is so old, you cannot use any of the new Phenom X3 and X4 CPUs, both of which would have provided a very significant boost in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back