Faulty AVG update breaks iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

A database update from AVG over the weekend left users with crippled iTunes installations. According to numerous online reports, the update – which came out on Friday – appears to be mistaking iTunes.dll and iTunesRegistry.dll for a Trojan horse identified as Small.BOG, and thus consigning these files into quarantine. As a result, iTunes will not run, and is not fixable by a reinstall.

After the faulty update was released, users began voicing their complaints on Apple's support page and then turned to AVG's official forums when it was discovered the free antivirus was to blame. In response, AVG published a corrected update, issued a statement on Saturday apologizing for the confusion, and explained how to restore iTunes to normal operation.

This isn't the first time a false positive in AVG has wreaked havoc. Back in November of last year the antivirus software misidentified a key Windows system file as malware, leaving non-English versions of XP unbootable. Its link scanner tool has also been accused of being a huge bandwidth hog and a generator of false web traffic, though this issue has since been addressed by the company.

Permalink to story.

Another fine reason to avoid using AVG, although it could happen with any A/V software I suppose:dead:

AVG is a great program. And its not just the free versions affected, my Pro version did the same thing. I noted what files were being noted and selected 'ignore'. Crazy...I know.

Considering the multiple times I have seen Itunes software put a "gag" on a PC's CD/DVD drive that could only be corrected by un-installing Itunes, this seems appropriate. Apple wants control over any machine its software is installed on. Go AVG!

Yeah I saw someone complaining about this on another forum I use, I told them to add the iTunes files as exceptions so that AVG would leave iTunes alone. And yes it wasn't just the free versions that were affected, the user was using the Pro version.

But then the person got an update from AVG within a few hours that fixed the issue. I mean yeah it would of been an annoyance if it affected you, but the timely manor in which AVG corrected the issue was good I think.

I have used AVG for some time now, all this while the free edition has been fine but i have found problems in the past related with iTunes and AVG. Perhaps we should migrate to a different antivirus such as McAffee? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back