Faulty motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

Does anyone know anything about motherboard repairs.? As I have two faulty motherboards (both from year old Emachines). I think there is a problem somewhere around the power connection area and I wonder if it is possible or worth while trying to ahve them repaired?

If you have any info, please let me know.

Thanks

David Silvester

www.shareworld.co.uk

emachines are junk, don't bother having them repaired.

for the price you would pay to have them repaired, you could buy a much better quality mobo than the crap that emachines uses just to have them fail again

Depends on the exact flaw you know..

You can replace bust capacitors even if you have never touched a soldering iron before. OTOH a mortal can do absolutely nothing about a broken track in the nth layer of the PCB or inside the north bridge.

thanks Nnodsu

These two motherboards showed exactly the same simptoms - first all the lights began to flicker when the computer was turned on (as if the power supply was pulsing). Then they would work intermitently for a few days before going totally dead.

How would I go about testing the boards to establish what is wrong?

Are you sure it's not the power supply that killed the motherboards?

Only things that you can fix on the mobo is the stuff you see. Examine the boards for burnt bits, bulged/corroded capacitors etc. If you can't find anything and you can't get the motherboard running with another PSU/CPU/RAM, then just throw it away - anything to be fixed there is more hassle than the thing is worth.

the power supply may have been at fault (because that was broke also). But I did test the power supply on another board, and i tested the mobo with a working power supply - no joy.

Thanks for the advice, I will check the boards and i will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back