FCC approves $50 monthly broadband subsidy for low-income households

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The Federal Communications Commission has unanimously voted to establish a program designed to help lower the cost of high-speed Internet for those struggling to get connectivity during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. It’s the nation’s largest-ever program tasked with helping households afford speedy Internet service, and should go into effect within the next 60 days.

The Emergency Broadband Relief Program is a $3.2 billion federal initiative that’ll provide eligible households with discounts of up to $50 per month for broadband service. Those living on tribal lands may be eligible for a $75 monthly discount, the FCC said in its announcement.

The program will also provide a one-time discount of up to $100 for eligible households towards the purchase of a computer or tablet.

The new relief program will be open to households that currently participate in existing low-income or pandemic relief programs, Lifeline subscribers, those on Medicaid or SNAP benefits, families with children receiving free and reduced-price lunch or school breakfast, Pell Grant recipients and those that have lost jobs and seen their income reduced over the last year.

According to The New York Times, the program will be funded with money allocated by Congress last year as part of its pandemic relief bill.

Image credit Nach-Noth, Casimiro PT

Permalink to story.

Did anyone do the math on how many additional CPUs they hope to distribute in those computers/tablets, and whether the semiconductor industry is capable of supplying those CPUs during the program's timeline?

Spectrum just increased my monthly and seeks permission to impose data caps, breaking merger promise

Spectrum can get away murder at this point. They had the gall to raise prices during a pandemic and still provide abysmal upload speeds when many needs to remote learn/work. I can’t wait to see this company burn.

Someday, someone will get this ISP crap right. At least the money is going to people who cannot afford it rather than to ISPs that will use it to enrich themselves, like animals in a zoo going for enrichment "treats," and not do with it what they are supposed to do like build out their infrastructure.

I am glad I no longer have to deal with Spectrum or their typical ilk like Verizon. My FTTH provider is shaping up to be a competitor to Spectrum in my area.

Someday, someone will get this ISP crap right. At least the money is going to people who cannot afford it rather than to ISPs that will use it to enrich themselves, like animals in a zoo going for enrichment "treats," and not do with it what they are supposed to do like build out their infrastructure.

I am glad I no longer have to deal with Spectrum or their typical ilk like Verizon. My FTTH provider is shaping up to be a competitor to Spectrum in my area.
Lots of ISPs have their crap right, they are ALL in other countries though. What does that say about the greed of American businessmen?

Did anyone do the math on how many additional CPUs they hope to distribute in those computers/tablets, and whether the semiconductor industry is capable of supplying those CPUs during the program's timeline?
They probably can, but the vast majority will likely be 14 nm. It's like I always say, "Generation "X++++, for generation X"

Lots of ISPs have their crap right, they are ALL in other countries though. What does that say about the greed of American businessmen?
Seems like the issue is not greed but the capability to take more and more from a people that just say "okay, sure I will pay more for the same crap" and do nothing to change it. I call every time the price changes and I pitch a fit until they lower the bill for two years. Been doing this for years and it's saved me thousands over the years with all my services. Take the time to call and be ready to fire them!

Since several members making comments to this thread, including myself, live in the US, and you are the expert in US Businessmen, why don't you tell us? I bet, though, that you do not have a great understanding of the situation in the US, especially if you are not a US citizen.

Besides, this article was about US ISPs not ISPs outside the US.
Seems like the issue is not greed but the capability to take more and more from a people that just say "okay, sure I will pay more for the same crap" and do nothing to change it. I call every time the price changes and I pitch a fit until they lower the bill for two years. Been doing this for years and it's saved me thousands over the years with all my services. Take the time to call and be ready to fire them!
I previously did that with Spectrum with an MVNO. You have to leave for at least 30-days for Spectrum to consider you eligible for promotional pricing. The situation will vary depending on who is your current ISP.

Back